Thread: Sticky Shutter Repair

Sticky Shutter Repair

I have an old Wollensak 8" 5.6 Raptar Telephoto lens housed in a Graphex shutter (made by Wollensak for Graflex). The shutter worked a few years ago but has become quite stuck. I can get it to release if I nurse it a bit by pushing the preview lever.

If its not too difficult I would not mind trying to clean it myself (if thats all it needs). I've done some jewelry work before and I'm pretty good with small hand work. However, I've never opened a shutter and don't want a bunch of springs & parts popping out suddenly. I read another post about using lighter fluid to clean it. A local camera repair guy in Houston quoted $80 to fix it.

By the way, what is a "CLA" ? I've read this term on other posts.

Re: Sticky Shutter Repair

CLA stands for "Clean, Lube, Adjust" and sounds like just what your old Wollensak shutter neads. While I've heard alot of folks talk of cleaning the shutters themself, I will never do that as long as people like Carol at Flutot's Camera Repair are in business. She is honest and reliable according to my dealings with her and she is quite reasonable. Contact her at www.flutotscamerarepair.com and she will be happy to give you her quote. She is not overly fast because she has alot of work, but I've been well pleased with the work shes done for me on several large format lenses and one Roleicord.

I cleaned the shutter that my 127 Ektar is in with ether (evaporates fast but very flammable, so you have to work with it outside) and that went well. However when I opened a Graphex shutter for a 165 Wollensak things didn't go so well - anyone need a shutter kit? Not worth the risk to me, I'd put a crowbar to my wallet and ship it off to Flutot or Grimes.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Teven View Post
    A local camera repair guy in Houston quoted $80 to fix it.
    Pay the man, and don't forget to thank him when he is finished.

Unless you ahve the repair manual, the right tools and cleaners/lubricants, an dsome experience you could end up with a shutter like Jims. (Sorry Jim, no offense intended, but you were a convenient example.)

I'll second Carol at Flutots, even at these crappy exchange rates. Support your local industries (even though I don't).
    Pete

Scott: please send it off ! You might be able to open the shutter and clean it, but you will not have the propper lubricants and remounting and adjusting without a shutterspeed tester ???!

John: do you still have that shutter-kit ? Is it complete ?
    Send me a PM if you want to ship: I want to give it a try when I am back in Holland again.

Peter

Thanks for the good advice. Handy as I consider myself, I will hire a more skilled handyman.