Thread: rolls vs individual sheets

rolls vs individual sheets

Has anyone bought a roll of paper as opposed to individual sheets.A roll seems cheaper but I'm affraid that the paper may curl going through my printer.Any thoughts?

Re: rolls vs individual sheets

I take it that you are referring to print paper for a inkjet printer, rather than a traditional photo paper? I have had experience with the latter, none with the former(in rolls), but I'll share my experiences.
    Back in the day, before D... took over I ran a large custom printing department at a lab, and we did this all the time, and we would get about 325 8X10 sheets from a roll, and usually the last 100 or so would have significant curl, that would either cause it not to lay flat during an exposure, or would get jammed during processing.
    It also seemed to depend on how long the paper was rolled up. That is, how long it sat in a warehouse before we bought it and cut it up. Stuff that went through quick was fine, but if had sat for months and months, then we had some more issues.
    I don't know if this would be the same with inkjet paper, but I suspect it would be similar.
    The only way to know for sure is to try it out.
    Keith

At the school that I teach at in graphic design class we use roll paper in an Epson 4000. It goes through the printer flat. Does your printer have a facility for roll paper?

Just waiting to be developed..

I use only roll paper in my 2 large format Inkjet printers (Epson 9880, HP5500).
    Most roll paper will have a curl in it after you print. Its unavoidable in some climates and especially with fine art papers.
    They just absorb to much moisture from the air. Most of the fine art papers are on a 3" core to help the curl but its still there.
    And the closer you are to the core, the worse the curl is when you cut it off.

There are a few ways to help reduce the curl. Carefully control the humidity.
    After cutting, press the sheets in a dry mount press on low heat.
    Flatten the sheets (protect them first) under some heavy books.
    Take the sheet and roll it in the opposite direction of the curl, then use a rubber band to hold it and leave it for a few days.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

I use both through my Epson 9600. Just depends on the work I'm printing. Curling has never been a problem when going through the printer. They will curl after but generally that can be resolved by some of the suggestionsabove. My only complaint about roll papers is that when you get down to the last 10 feet of so on a roll, you get these "lap" marks from where the paper starts on the roll and as it is wound onto the roll, it leaves an impression. That impression seems to show up regularly on the final print, so now that ends of the rolls get reserved for test prints. Just tried some canvas rolls which are usually 40 feet, and found the same problem on the last 8 feet or so. That's about 20% and that's alot. Fortunately with the canvas, it gets treated and that helps to hide the marks a bit. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ignatiusjk View Post
    Has anyone bought a roll of paper as opposed to individual sheets.A roll seems cheaper but I'm affraid that the paper may curl going through my printer.Any thoughts?
    You might mention what printer you are asking about....

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Epson 3800 printer.

With a 3800 I'd stick to sheets if I were you - I have had trouble feeding cut down roll paper into mine.

David Whistance