Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monitor--The weak link in color management

CAG

Smile Monitor--The weak link in color management

This concept started offline with Ken Lee. I have an original G4 and Apple Cinema screen. I use a luminence of 80 and 5500K for my monitor settings. Rarely do I have major changes when printing to an Epson 3800. My scanners are outsourced to drum or else I use Epson 4990 for MF or 4 x 5. My 35mm scanner is a Nikon 4000. IT8 targets by Silverfast. I feel that many have upgraded and spent many dollars only to be disappointed when printing.

Re: Monitor--The weak link in color management

It's a shame, that there does not seem to be any real world testing of monitors.

I have only found a few monitors tested with calibration tools, at www.tomshardware

some of the expensive ones did not perform to the level of thier cost.

I think it's easy to be "chasing your tail" trying to get monitor -print matching, esp when you have several types of paper to use I try not to think about it too much, lol.

hi,

One good monitor test site is http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html
    It is more concentrated to image and color quality than gaming performance.
    Jukka Vuokko
    Flickr

Disappointed in what way? Are you talking about the print and the monitor image not matching? I've always calibrated my monitors with basic Spyder or similar tools and except for the inherent difference between a back lighted image and a reflected light image my prints and the monitor match almost perfectly, using three different kinds of papers and the profiles provided by the manufacturers. My current monitor is an inexpensive Dell 17 inch. However, I'm not doing critical professional work where for example a color in an ad has to match the actual product.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by carl geyer View Post
    This concept started offline with Ken Lee. I have an original G4 and Apple Cinema screen. I use a luminence of 80 and 5500K for my monitor settings. Rarely do I have major changes when printing to an Epson 3800. My scanners are outsourced to drum or else I use Epson 4990 for MF or 4 x 5. My 35mm scanner is a Nikon 4000. IT8 targets by Silverfast. I feel that many have upgraded and spent many dollars only to be disappointed when printing.
    I've recently purchased a NEC Multisync LCD that is really fantastic. NEC produces SpectraView software that provides a very integrated solution for monitor calibration and profiling. SpectraView supports several major colorimeters and controls the calibration and profiling processing completely not requiring the user to make any physical adjustments to the display controls during the calibration process. It's quite amazing to watch the software operate.

The color, luminance, and sharpness of this monitor is very very good. Definitely the best display I've owned or used.

Don Bryant
    Last edited by D. Bryant; 4-Feb-2009 at 19:01. Reason: Typo

"I use a luminence of 80 and 5500K for my monitor settings."

"...and except for the inherent difference between a back lighted image and a reflected light image my prints and the monitor match almost perfectly"

Manufacturer-supplied profiles can be quite good, and custom profiles can be even better - but as these fellows have pointed out, getting the monitor luminance down to the level of reflected paper, is definitely the solution to the... frustration.

I recently purchased a Dell 2209WA. It matches my prints very closely. It is profiled and I use an ICC profile in Photoshop for the paper I am using.

Question: I thought the monitors were supposed to set at 6500k not 5500k ?
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

Tech Support, Chromix, Inc.

6500K is a good starting point. If the ultimate goal is to match your printer's output, and he is viewing the prints under lighting that is a little warm, it's not surprising that he would move the Kelvin temperature aim down to something warmer like 5500.
    Pat Herold
    CHROMiX Tech Support
    www.chromix.com

When I used my iMac for photo stuff, I never calibrated it; never felt the need. I just used the apple-provided one. When I bought the Big Mac and starting using my Samsung monitor with it, the need to calibrate became obvious, even without a print; the greens were garish and the greys were kind of brown. After calibration (Old Spyder and Optical), it still isn't perfect -- the greens are still kinda neon -- but much better and good enough outside of that one problem. Well, good enough for me. So, I think, there is a lot of "it depends" in this whole equation.