Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: LF Workshop in Texas ?

Re: LF Workshop in Texas ?

I would like to shoot the cypress trees in the swamps

Octogenarian

Wayne, I've suggested a short trip East to the guys, but so far, no takers.

We did go on a scouting trip to Muenster, TX a few weeks ago. Brian met us there.

Weather was cold and windy that day, however we did manage to find a few interesting scenes to photograph. Planning on returning under better conditions.

Grand Saline is no farther than Muenster.

I need to find out where the cypress trees are as well. My feeling is that they are along Big Cypress Bayou (DUH!) or around Caddo Lake.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Clay

I would be willing to be help organize a meetup some weekend in the Houston area where we can show people the basics - film loading, development options, camera movements, composition, exposure etc. I have enough spare cameraflesh to allow even a few non-owners the chance to try it out. I met Wayne last weekend, and it sounds like all we would need to do is pick a time and place and make it happen.

Absolutely count me in! All Wayne & I do is trade bad habits back & forth... we could use some real guidance. And I have a "real" 4x5 and a borg Crown Graphic and lens that I could bring along to give a non-LF owner something to work with at a workshop.

And while I could not do it in the next few week, I could probably convince my wife that we need to make a trip to Dallas... but it would be much better if we could do something here in Houston, or even in Austin.

We should do some sort of Texas thing. I am over in Cowtown and there are a couple of us who still try to get out with LF on occasion

And as an aside I plan the outings for the Fort Worth Camera Club. 180 members (mostly digital) but we do good outings. We are going to Big Bend NP April 14-19, 2009. I'll have my 4x5 with me and there might be one or two others along with them too (and about 20 who just do digital). You are always welcome to join us out there and there would be no workshop fee. We have fun. Check us out at....

http://fortworthcameraclub.com/blog/
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

Count me in for a Houston LF gathering! Hey, just the show & tell will be a learning experience. I'm doing some other research myself on available LF workshops and will report back when I have more info.

I'm up for a Houston (or close) gathering as well, having recently returned to Houston from China, where I've been living for the last 6 years.

I have a few LF, panoramic, and technical 6x9 cameras I could bring along for show & tell... and if senility hasn't fully set in yet, I might even be able to remember a few things I learned when I attended Brooks Institute.

Cool Thank you Clay!

That is very kind of you. Too bad your Phillips 8x10 won't be in attendance.

Since you brought it up, pick a weekend and an alternate that are convenient for you and we can get the word out. The old farmstead in Kleb Woods Park might work as a location. There is ample parking, several buildings and old farm equipment for subjects and very photographer friendly. http://www.pct3.hctx.net/parks/klebwoodsnaturepres.aspx

On the other hand, I've been there about 3 times. I would be open to new locations.

Wes Clavey and I have 4x5 field and press cameras and enough tripods to hold them up. There should be enough hardware to go around.

Cheers!

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by clay harmon View Post
    I would be willing to be help organize a meetup some weekend in the Houston area where we can show people the basics - film loading, development options, camera movements, composition, exposure etc. I have enough spare cameraflesh to allow even a few non-owners the chance to try it out. I met Wayne last weekend, and it sounds like all we would need to do is pick a time and place and make it happen.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Clay

This sounds perfect. I live in the Woodlands, so it is pretty close. Let's get a count for the following possible dates (assuming Saturday is the best):

Feb 21
    Mar 7
    Mar 14

Sooner is probably better than later because we will have cooler weather and a chance for some decent skies (photographically speaking).