Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fair price on a Omega D2

Fair price on a Omega D2

There is an Omega D2 for sale in town. I have not seen it, all I know for sure is that it has three neg. holders, and a bunch of misc. darkroom stuff. Asking price is just under 300.00.

What do you guys think, should I sit tight, and wait for a better deal? I have a smaller enlarger, but would love to be able to print my 4x5's.

Thanks
    Tim

Re: Fair price on a Omega D2

That's not unreasonable. How much of a steal it is depends on what the lenses, light source, accessories, and neg carriers are. I mean sometimes you can get a whole darkroom for the cost of hauling it away, but if you can get a decent 4x5" enlarger with lenses, neg carriers, and other stuff for a few hundred bucks, it's probably not worth quibbling about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim k View Post
    There is an Omega D2 for sale in town. I have not seen it, all I know for sure is that it has three neg. holders, and a bunch of misc. darkroom stuff. Asking price is just under 300.00.

What do you guys think, should I sit tight, and wait for a better deal? I have a smaller enlarger, but would love to be able to print my 4x5's.

Thanks
    Tim

It's a workhorse and with a cold light makes great prints. But it weighs a ton so shipping would be an issue if you get one on ebay. Buying local woild save you that expense. They aren't very expensive these days. 300.00 sounds kind of high. Try Craigs List in your area. You'll need the cones and the lenses. Too bad you're not here in Racine, WI. I got one collecting dust.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

If you're in Tucson, there was a nice D2 at Monument Camera (Ft. Lowell and Stone) a week or two ago for $100. And btw, Stacy (one of the guys who runs the place) does a good job CLA-ing lf lenses. He's done half a dozen of mine, and I have no complaints!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I'd say unless you NEED it now, wait for a better deal. I just picked up an Omega D5500 with 3 El-Nikkors, 2 heads, neg holders, timers, trays, etc - a full darkroom - for free. That was after I passed on a D2 deal with three condensers, three lenses, a bunch of neg holders and more, all for $50.

$300 seems high given this stuff is literally being given away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim k View Post
    Lenses? Lensboards/cones? What kind of 'misc darkroom stuff'?

I think its in the ballpark, but it may be marginally on the high side. But it still may be worth springing for.

By the way, Midwest Photo can usually supply whatever additional Omega accessories you need to get it into operation.

multiplex

i paid 300 shipped for a d3v 20 years ago.
    ya gotta love shutterbug magazine ...
    but a lot has happened in 20 years.
    even thought it seems like a fair price to me,
    it depends on the light source, lenses and the
    other things that are being sold with it.
    the d2 i think still uses all the cones,
    if it is being sold with a bunch of lenses ( to go with the neg carriers )
    make sure it has the lens cones, or an aux bellows attachment.
    the aux bellows was made for doubling the distance to the film
    for making jewel prints/reductions, but also allows you to use
    a ton of lenses, and not have to deal with cones ...
    it might not be worth it if you have to hunt all that stuff down,
    you might as well look for a cheap enlarger piecemeal seeing you may
    have to search for parts, cones &C that way ...... or craig' s list or whatever ..

maybe the convenience of it all being here at once and COMPLETE
    (or close to it) is worth the extra ?

I paid $60 for a D5 XL and a Super Chromega color head. This head was on Craigslist list for weeks, before I got interested.

I plan to keep it as a backup.

While the enlargers themselves should go for about $100, the Omega extras are usually very expensive from internet dealer types guys. Negative holders and lens boards/cones can be very pricey. If it's D2, does it have the additional condenser lenses? If it's a D2V then you don't need additional condensers. Throw in some good lenses and $300 may be doable depending on what else it has. Cold light head is worth something. I would think tht if you show up with cash you'll get it for less. After you look, if you like what you see, offer him $200 (or whatever). You can always go up. Buy everything as one big lot. If there is stuff you don't need you can sell it piecemeal.

John
    Last edited by John Jarosz; 23-Jan-2009 at 05:26. Reason: Added more info

$300 is very high unless the accessories are really exceptional or high shipping costs of buying elsewhere make it worthwhile for you. Enlargers like this are being given away by some people just to free up the space and if they aren't given away the price being paid is just a nominal amount (e.g. $50 or so). Personally I'd offer to haul it away for free, I wouldn't pay anything for it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.