Thread: Zeiss Planar 135mm 3.5 or Schneider Xenotar 150mm 2.8 in Melbourne, Australia?

Zeiss Planar 135mm 3.5 or Schneider Xenotar 150mm 2.8 in Melbourne, Australia?

Hi, This is my first time here... Have read many posts on here via google searches and then thought that it is time to get in the game. I didn't know where to put this post, so if it is in the wrong spot I apologise and will gladly move it to a more correct spot. Ok, here goes.... I am trying to buy either the Zeiss Planar 135mm 3.5 or the Schneider Xenotar 150mm 2.8 ( mainly for portraits ) but have never seen either and was just wondering if there was anyone in my home city of Melbourne, Australia that may have one ( or both ). Or in Sydney for that matter, as I am often up there... Is there much difference between the two? Ideally I am looking to shoot as wide open as possible but the 135mm could also be useful for landscapes... ( which I shoot more of at this stage ). Because of the very limited coverage range of this lens would I really need a different 135mm for landscapes, architecture etc etc. How much do these lenses go for? I read in a previous post that the 150mm Xenotar can go for around $800 or so? And the Planar up to $2000 for a multicoated version? Any thoughts or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards Josh

Re: Zeiss Planar 135mm 3.5 or Schneider Xenotar 150mm 2.8 in Melbourne, Australia?

I am a big fan of Schneider lenses and have quite a few. The last new lenses I purchased were Schneider.

However, I have th 135 Planar and other planars for medium format. At least for black and white, I have found them to have a "snap" that I don't get from the Schneider lenses. It may be more a matter of taste than quality.

I purchased mine used at a "fire sale" price and don't know if I would pay double or tripple over Schneider.

Re: Zeiss Planar 135mm 3.5 or Schneider Xenotar 150mm 2.8 in Melbourne, Australia?

Thanks Neal, Am trying it a bit hard to find either of them...It is purely for the wider aperture that they offer that I am seeking this lens.. Do you ever shoot with the Planar wide open or is it generally stopped down? Is it quite sharp when fully open? Ok, Thanks Josh