Thread: Mt. Williamson Shot w/ Polaroid Type 55

Mt. Williamson Shot w/ Polaroid Type 55

I just came back for a 4 day photo trip. I started in Death Valley and ended up staying at Lone Pine. I took a bevy of cameras and lenses to include my 4x5 and some Polaroid film. The film worked beautifully and I am glad I had a pack. After seeing how well it worked, my hope is that someone will pick up the production rights and produce some more of this film type. This is the only scan I have right now. Hopefully more will follow shortly.

God Bless,
    David

Re: Mt. Williamson Shot w/ Polaroid Type 55

Yes, Type 55 makes (made) for nice negatives! Is the light uneven on your neg as it is in your scan? (the left is lighter than the right.) Hopefully not. When I have used it (Type 55) in the winter, I usually did not process it until I got home (I usually camp) and could process it through the roller at 70F (I have photographed with it down to 25F!)

Since you were in Lone Pine, I hope you made it to Alabama Hills! I camped a night there this past Thanksgiving holiday. It has been a while since I have been to Death Valley. Best of luck with all your film!

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Yes, Type 55 makes (made) for nice negatives! Is the light uneven on your neg as it is in your scan? (the left is lighter than the right.) Hopefully not. When I have used it (Type 55) in the winter, I usually did not process it until I got home (I usually camp) and could process it through the roller at 70F (I have photographed with it down to 25F!)

Since you were in Lone Pine, I hope you made it to Alabama Hills! I camped a night there this past Thanksgiving holiday. It has been a while since I have been to Death Valley. Best of luck with all your film!

Vaughn
    Thanks Vaughn. The negative might have uneven light. I am going to rescan this tonight anyway to make sure. As for proscessing, I did it in the field. Maybe I should not have done that either. Oh well, for me it is lessons learned. I am still new to large format.

As for the 'Bama Hills, I did drive through the area. I used my time there more as a scouting trip for the next time I visit the area. That should be in about a month or so.

God Bless,
    David

God Bless,
    David

David, the developing/fixing goo in the pod can get a bit thick if it is too cold...and the chemical action is temperature dependent. There is a easily learned trick to remove the film from the Polaroid back without processing it...but of course, one does not get the exposure/focus/composition feedback that way...I've been using LF long enough that I don't need the instant feedback...I'd rather wait and develop and process the film in optimal conditions.

While not close -- you are quite a bit closer than me to the Alabama Hills. Enjoy your road trip next month!

Vaughn

Dave Herman

Quote Originally Posted by seabee1999 View Post
    After seeing how well it worked, my hope is that someone will pick up the production rights and produce some more of this film type.
    David, there may be hope. These guys claim to be doing just that.

http://www.the-impossible-project.com/

- Dave

Dave -- unfortunately they are not working on Type 55 film nor any of the other peel-apart films...just the type 600 (or SX-70) type. The peel-apart types were made in the Mexico plant. They have leased the Dutch plant that only made the 600 type.

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by drh151 View Post
    David, there may be hope. These guys claim to be doing just that.

http://www.the-impossible-project.com/

- Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Dave -- unfortunately they are not working on Type 55 film nor any of the other peel-apart films...just the type 600 (or SX-70) type. The peel-apart types were made in the Mexico plant. They have leased the Dutch plant that only made the 600 type.

Vaughn
    I have seen that website. There is a slight glimer of hope but I am not totally confident that Type 55 will be back (sadly). I talked with the Polaroid folks in Minnesota last week and they are desiring someone to pick up Polaroid line. If someone doesn't, they are out of jobs here very, very soon. A sad situation all around.

God Bless,
    David

Dave Herman

Poop.