Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pan/Tilt head Question

Pan/Tilt head Question

Following up my previous posts, is anyone using the Gitzo 1372M pan/tilt head? What is the smoothest and most precise pan/tilt head on the market for my Wisner 4x5, bearing in mind that (a) I am not happy with the lack of preciseness - esp ecially on the side-to-side tilt axis, (b) I was not blown away by the Bogen 327 5 (410) and (c) I don't want to invest >$600 in the Arca-Swiss B2? Thanks.

Pan/Tilt head Question

I have the Gitzo 1570m low profile head, so here are my observations: If you want a wide range of movement this is NOT the head to get, both the pan and tilt are limited because of the low profile. I also have a 1372, cheap enough and with all the movements you could ask for, but not low profile. I use the 1372 in studio on a big heavy tripod, and the 1570 with a carbon fiber tripod for field. I hope this works for you.

Pan/Tilt head Question

Jorge, thanks. I would be using the 1372M - not the low profile one - with the 1227 carbon-fiber legset. I am not interested in either the 1370 or 1570 low profile because neither has a quick release.

Pan/Tilt head Question

I used a 1572M for a Wisner 4x5. The quick release works great, and I liked the head except that it is high profile. I switched to the 1570M, and I add a Gitzo quick release when I need to. I like the low-profile head better.

Pan/Tilt head Question

William, could you please comment on the relative smoothness of the movements? Also, am I correct to assume that you are adding a quick release adaptor to the 1570M? Thanks.

Pan/Tilt head Question

Find a used Sinar Pan Tilt head. It only has a single tilt, not a double tilt design, but outside of the B2 it is the best pan-tilt head I've ever used. The Reis heads are also supposed to be in the same league as the Sinar and the Arca-Swiss B2.

Pan/Tilt head Question

Josh, I'm almost tempted by the low profile heads but would prefer to use a QR plate of sorts. William, which QR plate do you use, I was thinking of one for the 1370 low profile? This would make my ideal head! Regards Paul

Pan/Tilt head Question

i am using all differant kind of stuff from gitzo - they work under all conditions.my actally low profile head on work is series 2 and 5. a good choice for achitecture and lanscapes. the alluminum ones work more smoth than the magnesium ones, besides they are 30% hevyar. marcus

Pan/Tilt head Question

I use a Gitzo G1385 quick release with the G1570M head. This quick release is the same as the one that is built-in on the G1572. The G1572 that I owned tighted down well and the movements were smooth. I have also used Bogen pan-tilt heads, and the Gitzo's are a cut above the Bogens.

Pan/Tilt head Question

i'll agree with ellis. i use a sinar pan tilt with the gitzo 1321 levelling base - very precise. a used sinar pan should run about $250. i also use the linhof 003663 three way head which is also very precise and compact but not an inexpensive item and hard to find used. i hear only the best about the a-s b2 but have not as yet seen one new or used in a store so i don't how avialable they are. for me these heads are much more precise and compact than the gitzo pan tilts or the bogens. i used to use a toyo 3 way pan tilt which was as good as the sinar and a bit cheaper used ($200) but this might be a difficult item to find.