Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilford Films and Xtol Developer

Ilford Films and Xtol Developer

Anyone try FP4 and HP5 with Kodak Xtol developer? The manufacturers literature l ists several other Kodak developers but not Xtol. Either the results were unacce ptable or it is a combination that was just overlooked. I would rather consult t he forum than dive into the unknown.

Many thanks

Xtol 1:1 works ok with HP5+, giving a bit more acutance and somewhat more graini ness than D-76/ID-11 1:1 for a gain of 1/3 stop speed.

IMHO there's more loss than gain.

William D. Lester

I have used Xtol with both FP4 and HP5. I have also stopped using it because of it's unreliability. I have had 3 failures also. I have to agree that it is a nice developer when it works. I felt that agitation was aproblem with Xtol and FP4. I got uneven development with both roll film and sheet film. I later read that Iford specifically recommends not to prewet as it removes a wetting agent built in to the emulsion. Anyway, I also have gone back to ID-11 with these films and had excellent and reliable results.

I run both in a deep tank line set up with XTOL, and think they look great...it seems to me that alot of the trouble with XTOL comes from higher dilutions, and may be associated with pH and specific gravity of the final mix. But, in my experiences with it in the tank, it's a very long lasting & stable replenished developer. I don't know what you're set up is like, but you can get times for Ilford films in Xtol off the Kodak pro site, although you may have to look at the deeptank spec sheets.

Re: Ilford Films and Xtol Developer

I've been using Xtol with PAN+, FP4+, HP5+ and other films. I never had a problem with xtol stock, 1+1 or 1+2. I worked at a photo lab that uses xtol and they never had a problem. From what I heard when I was at the lab is that xtol fails when it is not mixed properly. You have to follow the instructions exactly. You don't want to mix to fast and mix are into the chemistry and don't use hot water to try to speed things up. You have to take your time when mixing xtol be patrician and you will have rewarding results.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

(Old thread alert)

Welcome to the board, byang! Yes, I'm an Xtol user, too. The old 1L packets had problems with sealing, but the 5L have been good for me. I'm glad it has a long shelf life, as it can take some time for me to work through over a gallon of developer. I mix it up and store it in 1L bottles in the fridge. I've never had a problem with it.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

I've been using Xtol 1 + 2 since it came out without any problems. I always use the 5L packets.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    (Old thread alert)
    I mix it up and store it in 1L bottles in the fridge. I've never had a problem with it.
    Brian,

I too mix the 5 ltr batches, and store them in 1ltr glass bottles in the fridge. I even go into the trouble to aliquot the stock when I open a fresh bottle (either 150ml or 250 ml) to smaller bottles and fill them to the brim with distilled water. (to be used as 1+1 either 300ml (35mm and 4*5) or 500ml (120 and 4*5).

Lately with my most fresh stock I start to notice a white fluffy white precipitate, which does not go into solution any more, so I filter off that stuff, which is a bit of a nuisance, but until now the developer has not failed on me although the precipitate is bugging me a bit. I use laboratory pure water and follow the mixing directions.

Best,

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    Revival of a 10 year old topic and problem. Xtol was touted as robust and able to be used in water most anywhere worldwide without problems. It was supposed to be able to be used 1:3. It was a new universal developer of higher quality able to stand use in less than ideal conditions. Then apparently Kodak screwed with the original formula - and the problems began.

Very sensitive to iron in the water and other imperfections - very different from what Kodak was saying.

Not to be used very diluted - very different from what Kodak was saying and put in print in the first instructions.

Very sensitive to how you even mix it? Way different from what Kodak said.

Some of us are careful darkroom workers - used to mixing our own chemistry down to tenths of a gram - and you think we can't control water temperature and mixing for a comercial developer?

Failures with the 5 litre packets - Three different times. Go back and do some research and you find out why a number stopped using Xtol even with great results when it worked. The stiff turned out to be the chemical equivalent of Windows computer operating systems.
    Is this your direct personal experience or just a re-hash of readings from the internet?
    Many have had entirely positive experiences with Xtol and have been using it for years and years.
    Its not that hard to follow directions to mix and use Xtol successfully.

I've used Xtol on and off (with HP5 and FP4) since it was introduced and never had problems with it. I use it straight, and diluted up to 1:3. Michael, are you still using Xtol after all these years?