Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best winter apparel?

Best winter apparel?

I have about 10 pairs of gloves and mittens (made of various materials) I've purchased over the years to keep my fingers warm in the depths of winter. I've tried just about everything, including ski apparel. Finally, I may have found a decent combo: a pair of Footjoy winter golf gloves (excellent grip on their own) as a liner inside a pair of down gloves.

What winter apparel secrets work for you?
    Mike

Re: Best winter apparel?

I don't know what temps you're working in, but this is what I've done before. I live in Toronto, Ontario, and do most of my winter shooting around here, and as much as a couple of hundred miles north. So, it gets very cold -20C.,or more, but not arctic cold. Wild chill pushes things to the -40'sC.
    To keep my hands warm, I've also found that two pairs work the best. I used to work in the lab biz, before it all went digital, and I'd take a pair of cotton gloves, which are thin, single layer cotton, then put my heavy gloves over top. This combination is much better than the single heavy glove. This also helps if I have to take a glove off to work something on the camera.
    For outerwear, I have a down gore-tex parka, and use layers underneath, with lined shell pants.
    Footwear depending on the situation, ie., walking, deep snow, or just cold, snowshoes, etc.
    Keith

Well, I still have a duffle bag of my US Army arctic gear but it is certainly overkill in my neck of the woods! I do find my old standard issue army gloves excellent for photography--ones with the black leather shells and od wool liners.

For sweaters the old wool 5 button gunnery sweater is still my fave even though it makes me look like Grandpa Jones on Hee Haw reruns. It really is great when being active in snow---there are five buttons to help "vent"

One of the best investments I ever made was a pair of gaitors. If you wear jeans and walk through wet grass the moisure will wick up your jeans and you end up walking in a pair of cold wet pants (flashback to the first day of kindergarten!) This is not comfortable at all. A pair of gaitors will protect your lower trouser legs and keep your jeans dry.
    Lets see----polypropolene longjohns? that will keep you warm and comfy...along with a half pint flask of brandy, or maybe a few of those miniature plastic bottles of peppermint schnapps and a thermos of hot cocoa in order to assemble a field expedient "dirty girl scout."
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by mdd99 View Post
    What winter apparel secrets work for you?
    Common scene.

It's 3 below zero as I write this. If the streams were not snowed over I would be packing to go photographing. But since I can not see the water where the ice would be, the warm darkroom look like a better place to be.

String and two safety pins. Run string down both sleeves and attach to gloves. Gloves will never get lost or end up on the ground full of snow.

The tip on the golf gloves sound good.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Hey Richard, I see you're a true "yankee". I remember my mom used your trick when I was a tot in Lincoln MA. The string was run from one glove up the first sleeve, over the shoulder, then down the other sleeve. They were hand knitted gloves with tie loops knitted right in. Never lost a glove; but then I wasn't focused on image making at the time. Thanks for the memories.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Ice Armor gloves, Under Armor skivvies and Arctic Armor snow suit. The gloves have a pouch for a little chemical handwarmer which positions on the back of your hand and warms the blood supply to your fingers. The AA suit is amazingly thin and I have worn it comfortably in -42 deg. w.c. situations. The whole suit (parka and bibs) will float 450 pounds!!..Evan Clarke

I wish I had some USArmy arctic gear. Unfortunately, all the extras around here seem to be desert apparel.
    Luckily, my mom knits and is pretty creative (and good). She has made some pretty funky mitten/glove things that have separate fingers for my thumb and index fingers (the ones I really use when shooting), with a big mitten to flop back over the whole hand for warmth when I'm just walking. I do agree on using a thin liner under thicker gloves or mittens. I have a pair of silk liners that are nice and warm all by themselves. And even if they're cumbersome, mittens are warmer than gloves.
    I currently don't have warm boots and am really ticked I can't find a pair I like. My venerable leather/gortex/thinsulate ones bit the dust after 10 years.
    I tend to get cold easily, so I frequently wear tights under jeans (sometimes flannel lined) and lots of layers. Though if I'm going to be moving around, I go with less.
    And I HATE wearing hats. My hair always ends up in my face and the hat slides down over my eyes.

Boston area! Currently 14 F today! Avoid all cotton clothes at all costs. Cotton has capillary action and will spread any moisture over the surface of your garment! Wool is fine and will keep you warm if somewhat wet. You will need to treat wool garments with Lanolin from time to time. If wool is your thing get garments with long fibers in them! I avoid down clothing cause if you get it wet in the field your shooting is over. You body looses moisture in the form of perspiration/sweat and you need to let it evaporate away if not you trap moisture and the cold will drop your body temperature and hypothermia can set in.

Layers of any material like polyester will keep you warm. The more the better. I only use poly clothes. Poly lets moisture escape and cotton does not.

I look at outlet malls, Marshals, and TJ MAx for 2X 3X sizes so as I build up layers and have movement. You may need to go to several stores to stock up on everything. In the east coast I use LL Bean, Eastern Mountain Sports, REI Coop. I found a hooded poly sweatshirt on sale at Macy's ( I haven't seen any hooded poly sweatshirts except for some special climbing ones at Eastern Mountain Sports for $150 each! Shop the sales!

Personal Preferences: Upper body Next to the skin poly long sleeve under ware, poly T Shirt, Poly 2X mock turtleneck, and finally a Eastern Mountain Poly long sleeve sweater made for climbing with a thumb hole in the cuff so it stays in place. I occasionally add have a hooded poly sweatshirt on really cold days. For my ears I have a poly head band that goes around my forehead back of my neck and covers my ears. My outer jacket is a lined parka with nylon shell and poly on the inside, with insulated hood on my jacket. I have some thicker poly gloves that protect against wind and let me slip my hands out for fine focus. I also have a pair of mittens that let you slip the tip where you ringers off so you can feel the camera with your fingers.

For pants I ware poly long underwear and have recently bought a pair of snow board pants. Get them larger so they give flexibility. I also have a face mask that is flexible poly and elastic design it can cover the entire hear of will stretch to just cover my neck. It has a nose guard and breathing slits for the nose and mouth. Underneath everything is poly long underwear for top and bottom. Really cold days also brings out a fake fur bomber hat that covers my ears.

Shoes! I buy Sorrel boots with an inch of insulation and made in Canada along with thick wool poly blend socks. These have real rubber bottoms and leather uppers. Buy the kind that lace up and go above your ankles. I have a pair of 2X gortex gaiters to keep snow off my lower legs. XL size gaiters wont fit over my pants and thermal underwear so needed to go up a size. Try them on at a sporting goods store first. I am moving away from gaiters due to the use of snow board pants which have built in gaiters, poly insulation, and nylon shell. You may need suspenders on the outer pants. An alternative to snow board pants (you are paying for the snow board experience) are insulated work pants from Carhartt. They treat their cotton bib overalls so moisture stays out. Only get insulated. Get gaiters for this type of gear.

I also keep a pair of Neoprene 5MM fly fishing waders in my car. I got these from Cabelas for $90.00. There are 5MM and 3MM thickness. Get the thicker. If you go into the water get wading boots. Felt bottom soles stick to slimy rocks better than lug bottom soles. A wading staff helps keep you balanced too. Don't go wading alone! If in doubt turn back. Turn back any way wading in the winter is not for everyone! Put your cell phone in a zip lock bag for when you get in trouble!

Carry an extra pair of clothes in your car too!

Finally get hand lotion and Burts Bees lip balm on before heading out. You should also drink fluids to replace the moisture lost due to perspiration and the cold which will dehydrate you!
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Marino wool thermal underwear, very toasty. Cycling gloves work well with LF.

Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger View Post
    I wish I had some USArmy arctic gear. Unfortunately, all the extras around here seem to be desert apparel.
    Luckily, my mom knits and is pretty creative (and good). She has made some pretty funky mitten/glove things that have separate fingers for my thumb and index fingers (the ones I really use when shooting), with a big mitten to flop back over the whole hand for warmth when I'm just walking. I do agree on using a thin liner under thicker gloves or mittens. I have a pair of silk liners that are nice and warm all by themselves. And even if they're cumbersome, mittens are warmer than gloves.
    I currently don't have warm boots and am really ticked I can't find a pair I like. My venerable leather/gortex/thinsulate ones bit the dust after 10 years.
    I tend to get cold easily, so I frequently wear tights under jeans (sometimes flannel lined) and lots of layers. Though if I'm going to be moving around, I go with less.
    And I HATE wearing hats. My hair always ends up in my face and the hat slides down over my eyes.
    If there is an army-navy store in your area, ask if they've got the insulated rubber "mickey mouse" boots
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White