Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The view from the TriBeca Bridge

Re: The view from the TriBeca Bridge

There is actually something called the Tribeca Bridge in lower Manhattan but it hasn't been there that long. It's an elevated covered walkway the crosses over the West Side Highway (West Street) at I believe, Chambers Street. It was built in 1992 to give students at Stuyvesant High School an easier way to cross the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence McDonagh View Post
    Triboro has been rehabbed since the last time I was on it. Not sure about fences. It's the only bridge I've been consistently hassled on.
    Come to think of it, there is actually a sign that says "no photography" as you drive over the Triboro from Manhattan to Queens (and probably on the other approaches as well). I remember this because I was just a few months ago in a van moving most of my photography equipment from our former apartment in Washington Heights to our new place in Queens, and I asked my friend who was driving if that meant that it would be a bad idea to stop the van halfway across and set up the 7x17" to get a shot of the view. The camera was made by the Seebold Invisible Camera Company, so no one would have seen it anyway, but the tripod may have raised the suspicions of the authorities.

Terence

All of the bridges and tunnels run by the MTA (http://www.mta.info/bandt/html/btintro.htm) have the signs. The ones run by NYC-DOT (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/bridges/bridges.shtml) do not, to my knowledge.

I'm not sure abou the Port Authority run bridges and tunnels. I want to say I've seen the signs at the tunnels, but not the bridges.

bdkphoto

Quote Originally Posted by Terence McDonagh View Post
    All of the bridges and tunnels run by the MTA (http://www.mta.info/bandt/html/btintro.htm) have the signs. The ones run by NYC-DOT (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/bridges/bridges.shtml) do not, to my knowledge.

I'm not sure abou the Port Authority run bridges and tunnels. I want to say I've seen the signs at the tunnels, but not the bridges.
    The PA have the signs as well, the GWB is posted.

thanks guys for the help here i actually played around on google earth today with buildings all running on 3d to get an idea - i would think that the Triboro would give you a good panorama but at some distance.

Maybe the queensboro might work with the 617 back on and a 90 degree lense...

i take on board Franks advice that my timing might not be great weather wise so maybe i will scout out the best place with my SLR and make a plan to return later in the year with the big fella...

what is the point of stopping photographs from bridges post 911 - iam struggling to see the security angle...?

If you were looking for a place to put a charge, sending photos to an engineer would make sense.

And if you were placing a charge, it would be a good "cover" or a test of the security's response.

Far fetched I know. It would never happen. Almost as crazy as flying planes into buildings so their structural steel melts and collapses.

Or perhaps buildings that fall down on their own (like a neat controlled demolition) that haven't even been hit by a plane.

We are off topic - this isn't a conspiracy theorists site after all...