Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For Sale/Wanted

Lachlan 717

Re: For Sale/Wanted

I agree in principle with Frank; however, I would also think that a significant number of origin PMs DO end up in successful sales.

Maybe the protocol should be that you should PM as the second person to show that there is additional interest in the item? May put pressure on the original PM'er and allow the seller some leeway to abandon the first if he/she doesn't put their money where their mouth is...

Maybe a poll should be considered on the matter?

Suffice to say that being persistent today paid off for me.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I think it is rude, or to be kind, ignorant -- for someone to leave these "PM Sent" tags because it queers the sale to other buyers...
    I have the same sentiment about the increasing number of "Wow, this is a great price" or "Hey, this item sold for much less on ebay" kind of messages that seem to be increasingly prevalent.

I think it's OK to help the seller if you know they are a reliable, honest person, so I am happy to bump their sale back up and recommend them, especially if it is a good price for a beginner's outfit -- which seems to be a frequent need here. The other day some newbie was asking questions and there was this fantastic deal on a 3-lens Linhof outfit, so it was really nice to let him know that he couldn't go wrong with that (it was probably half price.)

What is nasty is when somebody posts a negative about the item or says that the asking price is too high. It may well be the case but the buyer is responsible for doing their homework -- and if you can't say something nice about something, better not to say it at all.

Unless it's... lol

That is a good point about showing additional interest so there is pressure on the first inquirer - PM'er to move along with their deliberations.... Guess you can see it both ways. And true, the seller needs to post when the sale happens to make it work smoother.

How about no more added rules and just good intentions?

It would certainly help if sellers post to confirm it is sold, so the rest of us can just pass on by, without having to guess at the likelihood of whether a PM would be wasted or not.
    Not a rule, just an "invitation"?

I think it is fine to post a "PM sent" if you are notifying the seller that you want the item at their asking price (including postage/PayPal fees/or other provisions of the offer) ... otherwise, as Frank says (in no uncertain terms) a "PM sent" message gives a false impression that the sale is a done deal, deters others with interest, and is inappropriate.

We don't have procedural "rules" for the FS/WTB section, largely because it's an at-your-own-risk area. Common sense and common courtesy should prevail.

Personally, however, I've always viewed the "PM sent" replies to be courteous, particularly when followed by a note from the seller indicating either the item was sold or is still available. The assumption, of course, is that the PM was a valid offer. Others interested shouldn't be dissuaded from contacting the seller, anyway.