Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Clear Epoxy Resin over Prints

Re: Clear Epoxy Resin over Prints

i wish there was an easier and safer way to do something like this, but the posts in this thread scare me.

Joshua Tree, California

Breathing Color's Glamour II varnish is a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by dubesor View Post
    i wish there was an easier and safer way to do something like this, but the posts in this thread scare me.
    That's why I posted the link to the Hydrocote product.

Don Bryant

Smile Re: Clear Epoxy Resin over Prints

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    A much safer product to consider coating prints is, Hydrocote Resisthane Plus. It is water based and non-yellowing. It has been used to coat ink jet prints to provide a protective surface and to increase DMAX. The best method of application is by spraying.

Details about the product can be found here:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/h...lusgallon.aspx

Don Bryant
    cool, looks far less volatile and toxic than the other options being discussed. now i wonder where i might get this stuff in vancouver, canada ...

I know I'm late the party but have you looked at Colorplak mounting - www.colorplak.com. I haven't used it, but it looks like this guy uses it.

...Mike

Drew Wiley

Colorplak looks simply like an ordinary vinyl overlaminate with a very cheap, very nonarchival substrate. Good for a tradeshow or something temporary indoors, not
    for keeper prints.

In a fit of pique, once, over a print that had not come out as I intended, I put a thin coat of light furniture varnish over it with a paint brush. I was not careful with the application and fully expected to throw the print away after the experiment. I was amazed how well it turned out: the varnish left a beautiful matt effect with a slight yellow brown tinge, and the imperfections due to my brush work were not visible at normal viewing distance. Obviously this is very different from someone trying for a very smooth even effect with an entirely different coating, but at least with varnishes intended for domestic use, finding a product that does not require a gas mask to apply is easier...

The print is now on my wall.

David.

One of my partners uses an art resin on all of his pieces. They are dry mounted on a board/frame, coated in some kind of spray protective, and then he uses a 2 part resin and pours 3 or so coats on top for a thick glossy finish. He sells a tonne of them. I think he uses this stuff: http://www.artresin.com/

Sounds very similar to System Three Mirror Coat. Any Idea what the spray protective is that your friend uses?

The problem I've had with resin over photographs is very small air bubbles coming out of the paper. Sounds like the spray protective might be the solution.

Roger

Hmm . . during trial sales, I had some work laminated with various thckinesses: 3 mil, 5 mil & 10 mil. They didn't seeem to sell but they were laminated for showing where the print would be exposed to a lot of abuse over a period of time.
    The foam core mounting board was laminated with 3 mil & have held up well over the years, thing is that coating prints tends to leave you with a glossy prints only. I did a 10mil unmounted print trimming the material with a half inch border. These were free standing during the exhibit. They all held up well so far (little over 2 Years) without scratches & bent corners.
    Last edited by ctg; 7-Feb-2010 at 02:46. Reason: proofing