Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: LITTMAN 45 SINGLE VI On EbaY 8,000

Re: LITTMAN 45 SINGLE VI On EbaY 8,000

Littman has several examples of how he improves upon the quality of his conversions on his site, and while most are exaggerated or passive-aggressive negative jabs at his competitors, he does build a competent workable camera at a premium price. More power to him if celebrities want to buy his cameras. The problem most of us have is his shrill attempts to defend his sketchy patent and his threats to sue or harm anyone who converts a 40-year old obsolete plastic camera so it can use 4x5 film. It's so ridiculous that it seems like a joke, but the guy is dead serious.

The main potential problem with these 110 conversion cameras is if the back is not aligned parallel with the lens standard. To make the conversion, the original back needs to be cut or milled away. Tolerances vary, but remember that this is folding strut camera and the alignment between lens and film plane has always been an issue for any camera of this type -- Zeiss, Agfas, Kodaks, etc.

I don't know if Dean gets his backs perfect to the last 0.001mm. But it isn't rocket science to use a spacer block to measure the four corners of the cut and sand the plastic down to match, which would get his cameras within the same level of tolerances as any wooden field camera and probably some of the metal ones.

When I had a Razzle I did a comparison between the 110's Yasarex and a modern Symmar -- the film was impossible to tell apart louped or scanned. So I really doubt you would need to swap out lenses (which make the camera difficult to close and carry) and while movements would be nice, you're never going to get a fully-featured 4x5 out of a 110 so why invest so much into one? Get a Razzle or one of the other conversions, or go search out directions on how to do it yourself. Heck Dean will help you "do it yourself" because he is grounded in reality, as opposed to Mr. Littman who wants to sue you for your basement workshop activities with yard-sale cameras.

This is the thread devoted to my own Razzle as it was being modified for me, http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=26897

Quote Originally Posted by dean jones
    As the previous auction number has now been replaced by item 290149081295, something should be stated regarding the seemingly urgent need for 'parallelism'.
    As per second pic, observers may note that my Razzlok adapter actually sits on the camera's rail and as it is precisely machined parallel, it could not be influenced by adhesive or any other situation that would see it lack 'parallelism'.
    I think the whole issue has been grossly over emphasized. Contrary to belief, 'Mr Caliper' can often tell lies, especially if not held perpendicular to the item being measured, or used by a novice untrained in engineering basics.

A far more accurate method of determining 'parallelism' would be to place the camera's film plane or adapter, face down on a polished granite surface table and with the placement of an accurately ground spacer inserted onto the camera body where the bellows attaches. The height could now be compared at various points, using a height gauge (pic 3).

Now providing the lensboard is perpendicular to the film plane and you happen to be standing in a vertical position, perpendicular to the ground with the subject situated exactly vertical and perpendicular to the ground that YOU are actually standing on, go ahead and shoot wide open.....you can guarantee absolutely, there will be no fall off in sharpness from top to bottom or side to side will occur.
    pic 3 - http://www.largeformatphotography.in...5&d=1186889189

The answer to the initial question is ........NO

Best

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Jim, welcome to the Ignorant Barbarians' Club.
    Proud member of the IBC and yes, until proven otherwise, the Speed is lighter than Mr. Littman's tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Flodders View Post
    Image quality of this camera is obviously way better than what any old Graph can produce.
    You are kidding I hope. Lenses and photographers make images, not fancy light tight boxes. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, you were being facetious and I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    You are kidding I hope. Lenses and photographers make images, not fancy light tight boxes. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, you were being facetious and I missed it.
    Dead right Jim. Littman believes there can be no alternative, especially if his fancy box has a movie star attached

multiplex

wasn't he selling one for 100K last year?

thats a lot of film and paper for the speed...

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Drew I think it's because you sign an agreement that you must return it if you ever wanted to get rid of it or something. Or maybe that was another myth?
    Ash,
    I seem to remember reading one of his rants where he claimed that when you bought the camera, you didn't actually own it. You could not sell it, you could not dismantle it to clean it etc. I was so intrigued that I bought a few 110's for less then $20 on fleebay and made my own. Oops, did I just infringe?

What....so its a lease contract? Does he buy them back at the origenal price, a pro-rated price or the current retail price?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Drew I believe Littman came to Land in a dream, telling him to create a wonderful instant camera that may one day make a fortune for him when cut to pieces and modified. He then appeared twice in holy shrouds and once again to somebody speaking in tongues.

I saw a couple of used Littmans for sale at Lens & Repro last year, for well under 2 K if I remember correctly.