Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Black & White Processing

DIY Black & White Processing

So I am just getting my first large format and I am going to start off shooting B&W. So I am looking for some answers that I did not find in the articles I have read thus far. Do most people find it better to process your own film? With a few different methods of processing, which is most commonly used? Is one easier or cheaper than the other? Does one produce a far better result than the other? What could one expect to spend for a complete budget set up? Last, what about printing? Is it cheaper to send it to the lab? What would a home set up cost going down the middle as far as quality of paper and supplies? I have found prices in articles but I would like to hear it from the people who are actually doing these processes today. Thanks

Re: DIY Black & White Processing

You don't say what format(s).

Quicker to home process then to send it out. Cheaper. More control.

No idea what is the most common.

Cheapest must be trays. Easiest? A drum on a motorbase.

Cost depends on new versus used. But trays even new won't be much. Plus you can use the trays for printing. Drums are more money even used.

Printing is a big subject. Contact printing can be nothing more then a light bulb and some trays. 4x5 enlargers are almost free these days on the used market.

sorry... 4x5

Also, with a 4x5 enlarger how large can I print assuming I have large enough tanks for chemistry. Would it be cheaper to process film and just have it scanned and print digitally?

Depends on your enlarger. With a 135mm lens mounted my enlarger will do 24"x30" [I think that's right] on the baseboard. If I needed more then that my little Durst actually wall projects so size would be limited by paper and room size.

Unless you absolutely don't want to do it, you should at least try it. You will learn a lot from the experience. (Even if you later decide to e.g. scan and print digitally the knowledge of how to do it is invaluable.)
    For developing the negatives you don't need much space, but for enlarging you need some small room which you can dark out. (For most people this is more of a problem than anything else.) For ideas, have a look over at Apug.org at the "Darkroom equipment" section. On top of that there's a sticky thread called "Darkroom portraits", where you can find lots of inspiration but also tons of stuff you never knew you needed.
    As most of the hardware needed for a darkroom can be found in good shape for very little money these days, you just need to be a bit patient and collect enough information, so that you know what to look for.
    You can get started with a few trays (5x7") for developing the negatives. A bottle/bag of D76, some fixer, 10-15 minutes of darkness and you're there.
    While you're at it, see to that you get a piece of glass (5x7" too), a small box of 5x7" printing paper and some paper developer (about the cheapest you can find at Freestyle) and you can do contact prints from your negatives, so at least you know what your pictures look like. All you need for exposure is a small light bulb with a switch. (Plus an extra safelight bulb, you know, the red one...)

//Björn

It sounds like you don't actually have a dark room yet. I personally can't imagine going into large format B&W photography without a darkroom. It is so much about hand crafting. Can you dedicate space to a darkroom and for a sink for trays? If you can and if you have the time, that is the thing to do.

I have a spare bedroom but I dont know if it is going to be messy or smell. If it is I have a one car garage that is empty most the time. I can black out the one window and seal up any cracks leaking daylight.

You seem to have many very basic questions. Perhaps, you might benefit from reading a book...

may I suggest:

Barbara London and John Upton, Photography

Barbara London and Jim Stone, A Short Course in Photography: An Introduction to Black and White Photographic Technique

George M. Craven, Object and Image: An Introduction to Photography

These are just a few that I am personally familiar with. There are many others.

Once you have an idea what is involved, then, you can shop around for the stuff needed. B&H and Adorama are two pretty good one stop shops for all things photographic...including chems.

With respect to B&W, developing the film and printing it is an integral part of the whole photographic process. Darkroom equipment has never been easier to acquire on a limited budget. Basic developing and printing is very straight forward.