Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visit to the Camera Store

Visit to the Camera Store

I dropped by Photomark cameras in Phoenix the other day...just to poke around and see about making contact with Rod Klukas, who offers a large format class locally.
    I met Rod. He was enthused and helpful. He took the time to set up an Arca Swiss for me and let me fondle it a bit. Looks to be a wonderful camera, but likely forever out of my financial reach.
    While I was there, I also handled a Tachihara field camera. I liked the light/small aspect of the Tachihara, but I was a bit intimidated by the feel of it. There seemed to be a great deal of play in it. Once locked down, I guess everything was fine, I'm just worried I'd never get it all zero'd out and locked in place.

Now, this is my complete NOOB perspective and that was the first and only field camera I've ever touched. So, you'll forgive me if I'm completely out of place here.

What impressed me about the difference between the 2 cameras is that the Arca Swiss felt like you would just mount it and everything was in its right place. The Tachihara made me worry that it would take a long time to be certain of it before I was able to take a shot.

Of course, there is a huge price difference between those cameras.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Re: Visit to the Camera Store

It's a balance between what you want and what you need, IMO. love my Tachihara, especially for it's light weight. yes, the drawback is for some big, heavy lens it's not suitable, but my other field camera, which is very robust, feels like a million pounds after walking with it for an hour.

How are you going to use your camera? For what it's worth, despite some drawbacks, my tachihara is my favourite 4x5

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Cool Re: Visit to the Camera Store

I was in the same place not too long ago. The big difference was that I bought a camera, wagged it home and then said to myself, "Self, what have you done?"

The good folks here helped a lot. Today I wonder why I was so perplexed at first. Here's the rest of the story...

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...highlight=Zone

Good luck!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

It wasn't really a matter of shopping for me.
    I've got my Crown Graphic on the way as the only affordable solution in the short term.

Just relating my first impressions.

Octogenarian

Good move, talking to Rod. He's very knowledgeable. Sounds like you are a "metal camera guy".

Most wooden cameras feel the way you described, when you first begin to use them.

However, after a while, you will find that, when locked down, they become very solid.

There is a beautiful metal Linhof outfit listed for sale on this forum today by a person in Casa Grande. If you cannot afford that outfit, give up on the idea of LF photography. It is out of your price range.

Cool Re: Visit to the Camera Store

Quote Originally Posted by dazedgonebye View Post
    It wasn't really a matter of shopping for me.
    I've got my Crown Graphic on the way as the only affordable solution in the short term.

Just relating my first impressions.
    I knew that. Just pointing out that I had similar first impressions. They go away. Replaced by a big grin. I also bought a Speed Graphic first. I'm keeping it too.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    I knew that. Just pointing out that I had similar first impressions. They go away. Replaced by a big grin. I also bought a Speed Graphic first. I'm keeping it too.
    I read the thread you linked...you expressed my concerns very well.
    I suppose you get used to setting the things up, it's just a whole new world for me.

I used a Tachihara for many years both for commercial photography and my landscape work. With a little practice it sets up very quickly.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Ehh, I kind of feel like repeating myself here, but for whoever who puts the question, I recommend the Sinar F (F1, F2 whatever you can afford). I'm pretty sure that there are "complete" cameras, with a couple of lenses, film holders etc. to be found at a very nice price for anyone who have the patience you seem to have. Something in the line of a camera, extra rail, bag bellows, a Super Angulon 90mm, a Symmar 150mm, some 10 filmholders etc. for around $1200 or so. Not new, rather +20 years old, but still fit for another 20-30 years of faithful service.
    Now, why the Sinar F? Well, they are plentyful, so finding a nice one at a good price shouldn't be too hard. Lots of accessories around, as Sinar was among the studio photographers first choices. They are very easy to operate and have a few extra gadgets which helps you to learn and use swings and tilts as well as an DoF scale. Of course there are other cameras which have some similar features, but as a "complete" first camera, I cannot think of anything better than the Sinar F line.
    I'm using a Sinar F2 outdoors, while it gets rebuilt into a Sinar C when indoors or when I want to shoot 5x7". (A Sinar C uses the same rail with the F front and a P back. It's very easy to change formats with the P back.)

//Björn

My first LF camera was a used Linhof which is heavy, heavy, heavy but mechanically superb.

Now I use a Tachihara which I love due to its weight. I also love the wood esthetics - it is warm and inviting. I can carry it, 3 lenses and a backup digital outfit with no problems for quite a bit longer without as much fatigue when doing landscapes.

Jackie