Thread: Creo, emulsion orientation

Creo, emulsion orientation

I am scanning on a creo iqsmart3 and was wondering what the orientation of the film should be.

Should I have the emulsion side facing down (ie... the notch on the top left) or facing up (ie... notch on the top right)?

Also, what is the opinion on the built in sharpening? Should I have the default setting, or should I select 'none'

Thanks,
    Michael
    --

Michael Gaillard

Re: Creo, emulsion orientation

Michael,

I have an EverSmart Pro which uses similar software so I believe my remarks will apply to the IQSmart3 as well.

For correct orientation, the emulsion side of the negative should face down.

What default setting you use for sharpening depends on your work flow. I generally set sharpening to No Sharpening as I follow a specific sharpening routine in Photoshop. After No Sharpening I also like the Soft Sharp option and use it from time to time.

The thing to remember is that you can always sharpen later with Photoshop, but if you use one of the sharpening routines when scanning you are pretty much stuck with the results, and sharpening does create some artifacts.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gaillard View Post
    I am scanning on a creo iqsmart3 and was wondering what the orientation of the film should be.

Should I have the emulsion side facing down (ie... the notch on the top left) or facing up (ie... notch on the top right)?

Also, what is the opinion on the built in sharpening? Should I have the default setting, or should I select 'none'

Thanks,
    Michael

Thanks.

Out of curiosity, is it normal for there to be a haze over the initial scan? I have used imacons before and a similar phenomenon occurred, but this one seems to be more pronounced.

also, would you mind providing a quick suggestion for sharpening in photoshop? I have gotten so many different responses, I have generally stuck with unsharp mask as it is what I have been most familiar with.

I basically am after a quality that most closely resembles a traditional c-print, rather than anything that has a hyper-real quality.
    --

Michael Gaillard

Are you talking about a haze with the pre-scan? I don't see this with my EverSmart.

Sharpening is a real art and I know just enough to get myself in trouble. A good book on the subject is Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop CS2 by Bruce Fraser.

You might also consider investing in a software product called Photokit Sharpener, which does sharpening in three stages, capture, creative and output. I have used it and in general it does a better job than I can do on my own, but the routine takes a long time.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gaillard View Post
    Thanks.

Out of curiosity, is it normal for there to be a haze over the initial scan? I have used imacons before and a similar phenomenon occurred, but this one seems to be more pronounced.

also, would you mind providing a quick suggestion for sharpening in photoshop? I have gotten so many different responses, I have generally stuck with unsharp mask as it is what I have been most familiar with.

I basically am after a quality that most closely resembles a traditional c-print, rather than anything that has a hyper-real quality.