Thread: Deardorff 4x5 Reducing Back Repair?

Deardorff 4x5 Reducing Back Repair?

I just got a 8x10 Deardorff Camera that had a 4x5 back with it. The springs on the back that hold the film holder are not tight and seem to lost their tension. Is there any where to get this repaired or buy them to replace myself?

Re: Deardorff 4x5 Reducing Back Repair?

You might be able to buy replacement springs from Ken Hough. I've bought parts from him in the past to repair my 'dorff and his expertise is priceless. Others here have reported dissatisfaction when sending in for repairs, but I think you'll find him to be a good source for parts if you want to DIY.

I haven't had Ken do any repairs for me so in fairness I can't comment on his work one way or the other, but I will recommend Richard Ritter if you want to send your 'dorff back in for repairs as he did a fine job on my 5x7 Speeder and is widely known as the "Zone VI" (well, one of those zones anyway) guru, and those cameras are very similar to 'dorffs.

Another option might be to find a local gunsmith (a real gunsmith---not a parts replacer) who can put the "spring" back into your original springs. This might be the quickest & cheapest solution.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Deardorff 4x5 Reducing Back Repair?

You could try rebending then. Keep the bends away from the holes.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net