Page 408 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 3083583984064074084094104184585089081408 ... LastLast
Results 4,071 to 4,080 of 17145

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by MumbleyJoe View Post
    Nisqually Glacier, Mount Rainier National Park
    Tachihara 4x5, Caltar II-N 150mm f/5.6, Ilford FP4+, HC100(h), 25A Filter

I had a fun day of photography down at Mount Rainier a few weeks ago. I'm slowly getting through my negatives now.
    I am a sucker for mountain shots
    Looks like you had fun getting the gear up there.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Long Bien bridge, Hanoi

retrogrouchy

I had a fun day of photography down at Mount Rainier a few weeks ago. I'm slowly getting through my negatives now.
    doubleplusgood!

(most of us Australians are suckers for anything with snow in it)

After seeing countless images of Rainer taken with ultra-wide lenses, it's great to finally see a photograph of the mountain that conveys a real sense of presence.

EOTS, Luc, Polyglot - Thanks very much!

Joel - Thank you as well - I appreciate what you mean. I'm as guilty as anyone for the usual Rainier shots, but I was really pleased to get up close and personal with it on this trip. It is such a spectacular mountain, particularly when you can you're up close.

Excellent shot Tyler! Looks like a tricky exposure. I'd probably overexpose/overdevelop that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush View Post
    Long Bien bridge, Hanoi

I also really like this shot!
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

Tyler,

Great image of the Great Mountain. I love so many things about this shot; the subject (a personal favorite of mine), the breaking clouds and cloud dappled light, etc. It is very reminiscent of the work of Vittorio Sella. Bravo!

When I first saw it, I assumed it was shot with a long lens, a 300mm or maybe even a 450mm. Then I saw in your caption that you used a "normal" 150mm. Was this taken from the Nisqually Vista Trail, or were you up higher than that? Since it was just a couple weeks ago, did you encounter much snow. Were snow shoes or skis required?

Kerry

Nice shot. It looks like a telephoto as apposed to a normal lens. I've hiked around there (even been to Camp Muir) and never was close enough to fill the frame with a normal lens like that.

Nice one. IMHO Mt. Rainier and environs are underrepresented photographic subjects, compared with the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone and other "American West" locations. I like all the Ansel Adams Mount Rainier images. It seems that Rainier does not rank as a photographic subject, as much as its beauty would justify. We did a family trip to Rainier and Olympic this summer, and the place was stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitz View Post
    Excellent shot Tyler! Looks like a tricky exposure. I'd probably overexpose/overdevelop that one.
    Thanks Zach! I actually had some confusion in my notes about exactly how I exposed it (sloppy notes) so I'm very happy to have not completely screwed it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann View Post
    Tyler,

Great image of the Great Mountain. I love so many things about this shot; the subject (a personal favorite of mine), the breaking clouds and cloud dappled light, etc. It is very reminiscent of the work of Vittorio Sella. Bravo!

When I first saw it, I assumed it was shot with a long lens, a 300mm or maybe even a 450mm. Then I saw in your caption that you used a "normal" 150mm. Was this taken from the Nisqually Vista Trail, or were you up higher than that? Since it was just a couple weeks ago, did you encounter much snow. Were snow shoes or skis required?

Kerry
    Thank you very much! Just before you commented I was looking at it sort of thinking the same thing about the focal length - it really does look like it could have been taken at a great distance. It's a lot of mountain for a normal lens. I set off towards Glacier Vista (along the trail you mention), but couldn't see a damn thing. I pressed on about another half mile as far as I could before the skyline trail switches back towards Panorama Point. That last half mile or so was snowy on the ground, but easily hiked in boots. Lots of skiers and snowboarders passed me going down though.

For your amusement, the first photo here was at Glacier Vista (no view at all), and the second is where I set up my tripod for a few photos. (I can remove these if they don't belong here):

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Nice shot. It looks like a telephoto as apposed to a normal lens. I've hiked around there (even been to Camp Muir) and never was close enough to fill the frame with a normal lens like that.
    Thank you! My kudos for hiking as far as Camp Muir - I suspect that's beyond me. I was surprised how close you could get climbing the skyline trail, and with (what seemed to me) relative ease. I don't know Paradise all that well, and typically like to hike around Sunrise on the east side instead.

I think part of the illusion of "closeness" comes from the shear size of the mountain - the view here encompasses about 8000ft of elevation (I was around 6800ft, and I'd guess this includes 6400-14400ft)

In that photo above I have my 400mm lens mounted, focused and ready to go (I was focused on the Nisqually Iceflow when it clouded over again). I waited about 30 minutes in that one spot and the clouds never parted again so I didn't get the shot. That was the only telephoto shot I had planned up there.

Quote Originally Posted by chassis View Post
    Nice one. IMHO Mt. Rainier and environs are underrepresented photographic subjects, compared with the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone and other "American West" locations. I like all the Ansel Adams Mount Rainier images. It seems that Rainier does not rank as a photographic subject, as much as its beauty would justify. We did a family trip to Rainier and Olympic this summer, and the place was stunning.
    I tend to agree (though as photographed as it is, I am personally in awe every moment I'm in Yosemite). Mount Rainier is a pretty spectacular place, and I'm not sure why it's not the kind of destination some of the other western parks are. I'm always finding new inspiration there (whether than translates to photos or not).

/sorry to hijack the thread.

EDIT: D'oh! I'm an idiot and had my notes jumbled up. This shot WAS taken with my 210mm, not my 150mm lens. Arg! Not that they're vastly different, but the one time anyone's actually interested in the focal length, I noted it wrong.
    Last edited by MumbleyJoe; 7-Nov-2011 at 20:36. Reason: Correcting my errror.