Page 1589 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 589108914891539157915871588158915901591159916391689 ... LastLast
Results 15,881 to 15,890 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    That's a really great description, Gabe. Have you also done flatbed scanning? If so, how does it compare? How easy/difficult is the stitching in Lightroom? Your shot on Provia with the trees in fog was impressive both visually and technically. That would have been very difficult to obtain via a pure analogue route.
    I've never done any flatbed scanning personally, as I got on board with DSLR scanning as soon as I started using film (about 4 years ago now). From numerous third party accounts and comparisons I've read though, with good technique DSLR scanning easily surpasses the quality achievable with consumer flatbeds, especially for 120 and 35mm. It takes a bit more tinkering and work, perhaps, but I think the results are worth the effort. The stitching process is generally no problem, and is handled automatically by Lightroom (or Photoshop). I've found it is best to not refocus the lens between capturing each segment, as even small variances in focus create very obvious transitions when the frames are stitched together. For best results each segment should also have lens distortion corrections applied before stitching.

The only hassle I've encountered is sometimes the stitching can struggle if it has to join segments together containing almost no detail (large patches of blank sky, for example), as the algorithm then can't reliably determine reference points between frames. Usually just capturing more frames can get around this problem though.

Eventually I would like to get a mirrorless camera capable of high resolution pixel-shift captures (the Sony A7R IV, for example), which would obviate the need for multi-frame stitching. This would make the whole process much faster whilst retaining the same (or higher) quality, assuming one used a good enough lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post
    This has a nice feeling of light and space. Well done.
    Thank you Joe.

Thanks for all the info, Gabe. I've been thinking about doing digital stitching for large format, but this is the first time I've really seen it in action (that I know of). I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    Thanks for all the info, Gabe. I've been thinking about doing digital stitching for large format, but this is the first time I've really seen it in action (that I know of). I look forward to seeing more of your work.
    If you insist

Linhof Technikardan S45, Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Symmar L 5.6/150, Provia 100F.

--- by atomstitcher, on Flickr

Very nice indeed.

^Gorgeous display of Fuji colors and a nice composition too.

Thanks guys.

Linhof Technikardan S45, Rodenstock Grandagon-N 4.5/90, center ND filter, Portra 400.

Conversations by atomstitcher, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Linhof Technikardan S45, Rodenstock Grandagon-N 4.5/90, center ND filter, Portra 400.
    You were living right, at least on this shoot--classic rhythms here (reminds me of a lot of 18th C. landskips I saw in the National Gallery up in Edinburgh, though you'd have to add a bedraggled gillie and his faithful dug.)

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    You were living right, at least on this shoot--classic rhythms here (reminds me of a lot of 18th C. landskips I saw in the National Gallery up in Edinburgh, though you'd have to add a bedraggled gillie and his faithful dug.)
    Cheers.

No dugs to speak of, just a couple of curious hikers who thankfully happened along after I had finished with the shot