Page 1575 of 1712 FirstFirst ... 575107514751525156515731574157515761577158516251675 ... LastLast
Results 15,741 to 15,750 of 17114

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Thomas, I wonder if a little further to the right would actually have been better. Here we see the alignment of the conical tree side with the cliff edge. To the right, the closer, next-over tree would have begin to cut into the conical one. I think this works nicely, though I would print it a little differently.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Nice shot. Glad you didn't drown. Looks like Watkins had an easier time of it. Sometimes you just have to be lucky.
    I didn't get into the Merced but stayed at the edge of the shoreline so the only thing that got wet were the soles of my boots. Watkins had an easier time as far as finding a compositional vantage point. His was taken in the early morning when the Merced was not flowing as fast and I think he chose that point because it offered a reflection of the column in the foreground. That view is no longer available. Mine was taken on the opposite side of the river and a little further up. If you double click on Watkins photo you'll see that the Merced bends to the left in an inverted U shape. That flat open space you see is where the Awahanee hotel stands today and I took the shot there between the tree and what appears to be a large boulder. Because the river bends there I believe that they dredged that area and placed large boulders to shore-up the shoreline to protect the hotel from floods. That would explain the river beds sudden drop-off. Although it was flat and clear back then like today, I don't think that it offered for the reflection that he wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Very nice job.

However overall I doubt Watkins had an easier time of it - considering the stuff he was working with and hauling around.
    You're right Michael. The only thing that was easier for him was in finding an unobstructed viewpoint from which to position his camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Thomas, I wonder if a little further to the right would actually have been better. Here we see the alignment of the conical tree side with the cliff edge. To the right, the closer, next-over tree would have begin to cut into the conical one. I think this works nicely, though I would print it a little differently.
    You're correct Phillip. Looking at the image today I can't see where moving the camera a couple of feet to the right would have improved the picture. But back then that was what I was thinking at the time and was quickly dissuaded by the water's depth at that point. I think that I was trying to avoid the tree branch on the left. This is not a scan of a print but a raw scan of the negative that was shot on 17 July 2014 (1/8' @ f22 -1/3 with a UV filter). I came across the negative yesterday when reviewing unprinted 4x5 negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Thanks again, all. It's interesting what a mistake can sometimes lead to. Here's another photograph from a different angle, but exposed properly, for what might be an interesting comparison:

Same camera/lens/development. I burned the trees because they were distractingly bright.

Edit: Thanks Hugo!
    Hi!

WONDERFUL!!

Cheers
    Antonio

Szabad 4x5, Super Angulon 90/8, Portra400

First tries with Portra400 after giving up on Ektar100.
    No, I never became friend with Ektar. Didn't like the magenta cast and blue shadows, and the need to nail the exposure almost like slide film. Sort of wanted to like it but never did.

This is something very different, much more to my taste and more workable. Feels really good.

Quote Originally Posted by lassethomas View Post
    This is something very different, much more to my taste and more workable. Feels really good.
    Nice relaxing image.

Quite a colorful scene with wide light values.

Looks like the Portra-400 did an admirable job, retaining rich color and preserving many shadow details, too.

No, I never became friend with Ektar. Didn't like the magenta cast and blue shadows, and the need to nail the exposure almost like slide film. Sort of wanted to like it but never did.

This image has rich, beautiful tonal range. I never was able to bond with Ektar either, for the same reasons you give.

Stunning image! Amazing composition and beautiful gradation of colors. Well done!

It looks great , lassethomas!

Ektar seems to cause a lot of troubles to the scanners' software.
    Many people ended up with scanning negatives as positives (orange) and then making conversion(including inversion) in PS.
    I equally like the rendering from Ektar and all the Portras, each for its own qualities.
    All films that I have tried gave me the best results when exposed at box speed.
    As experiments I many times over-exposed Ektar for up to 3 stops and developed per normal timings. Got very usable scans from it. Also underexposed by 2 stops (meter was set to ISO 400), developed +2 and also got good printable images from that roll. On underexposed ones I had to deal with heavy Magenta cast indeed.

SergeyT

Hi. That's a really nice image. Did you go straight from Ektar to Portra 400 or did you also try Portra 160? Do you have any views on 160 compared to 400?

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Hi. That's a really nice image. Did you go straight from Ektar to Portra 400 or did you also try Portra 160? Do you have any views on 160 compared to 400?
    Nope, no views on 160 compared to 400. Have to get a box or two of 160 and try.
    Last edited by lassethomas; 12-Aug-2021 at 02:27.