Page 1562 of 1712 FirstFirst ... 562106214621512155215601561156215631564157216121662 ... LastLast
Results 15,611 to 15,620 of 17115

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by John Power View Post
    I'd be keen to hear whether you would have exposed a bit longer here for the rocks?
    On my screen I think the black rocks are treated well. Nowhere is there a distracting black hole with insufficient texture, but there is enough darkness for a touch of drama and mystery.

What I like best is how the foreground sand (and tidal pool) reflect the pink of the sky.

And you must have been very patient to capture the crashing wave at the right moment.

Lovely scene, John.

Are you developing C41 at home? How is it, compared to B&W?

The apricot of the sky contrasts perfectly with the mauve of the sand. Well done!

I think the darkness of the rocks and flash of white spray work perfectly together to create contrast and excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by LocalHero1953 View Post
    This might be my best shot, ever! Accidental double exposure from Hodge Close Quarry, Lake District, UK.
    Gandolfi 4x5, Nikkor SW 90 f8, Portra 400 (colour was uninteresting, so I converted to mono).

Attachment 216343
    Amazing!

Reminds me of what Sally Man describes as "fortuitous accidents" that she invited in to be part of her process.

Really cool image, I still haven't figured out what it is, but it's neat.

Thanks everyone, again! Great feedback that I will do my best to remember when I'm next out and about. I think I'm learning about lighting a bit, and can see a bit clearer now where BnW will do a better job. I made a lot of errors trying to capture high contrast colour, especially with ektar, and it just struggles to show much colour at all in the shadows.

6X6TTL, yep, C-41 at home is no worries. (Take this with a grain of salt as I'm very new to shooting film and only a month into developing any film at all!)
    I use a kodak flexicolor kit and its cheap enough... I'd say about AUD 0.70 per sheet in a paterson tank/mod54... in a JOBO it would be a good chunk cheaper, stearman press too.
    I was initially worried about temperature, but it seems near enough is good enough, despite the super-tight range given in the instructions. I just have a 15L plastic tub that I put my bottles in, fill with hot water from the tap, wait til a $10 meat thermometer reads about 38C when i put it in the dev bottle, then go for it.
    Colour seems more straight forward than black and white, there is one set of instructions and you just follow it. I've done kodak consumer and pro film, fuji pro stuff, none of it seems to be "off". But maybe my eye just isnt trained yet
    Speed Graphic Pacemaker
    Schneider Krueznach Symmar-S 135mm

...I'd be keen to hear whether you would have exposed a bit longer here for the rocks? I was thinking the sky would lose saturation if I did that?

Wind was smashing it through, and my towel-as-dark-cloth was a bit of a pain. I might try to sew one up with some heavy stuff in the edges...
    John, most color films do not take to high contrast scenes well, requiring an exposure that renders desirable highlights and lets the shadows fall where they will, but I can suggest a technique to help with getting texture in the shadows. It amounts to a simple double exposure. It’s a technique I was taught at a AA workshop in the late ‘60s by one of Ansel’s assistants (Al Weber, RIP). The first exposure is made by holding a standard gray card (18%) perpendicular to lens axis (beware of shadows on the card) and take a reflection meter reading of the card, then hold it in front of the lens and exposing by closing down three stops from its meter reading. This creates a pre-exposure over the whole format area. Then expose for the scene as you’d normally do. This technique has no effect on the highlights but does help put texture in the shadows.

Since you’re going to do some sewing anyway, here’s what I did. Place a layer of black fabric over a layer of white fabric and sew all edges together. Using this as a darkcloth with the white side on the outside, you’d be amazed at how much cooler you’d be while viewing the groundglass in warm sunny conditions. Regarding windy conditions, you might also find that sewing the edges together behind your head will help and attaching a few short Velcro (hook & loop) strips along the lower edges of the darkcloth will create a dark tube and prevent the wind from getting underneath the cloth and creating a sail.
    Last edited by Jerry Bodine; 3-Jun-2021 at 16:51.

The Portra 160 he is shooting has enormous latitude though (as does the higher speed versions). Using it one can easily expose an extra stop over "normal" to lift the shadows a bit, and the affect on the highlight tonality will barely be noticeable.

Slate quarry in Coppermines Valley, Coniston, UK
    Gandolfi 5x4, Nikkor SW 90 f8, Portra 400
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake District 11-16 June 2021  -10-Edit.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	216409

Small town, South Carolina, US

Interesting photo. Colors are interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    Interesting photo. Colors are interesting.
    I'm willing to take the first comment as positive and the second as negative. The yellow colour of the rock is accurate, but I may have left the slate grey as a bit too blue.