Page 1559 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 559105914591509154915571558155915601561156916091659 ... LastLast
Results 15,581 to 15,590 of 17143

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Nice work!!!’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks popdoc! I was out with my daughter all day and we both had a blast. She shot and developed a 35mm roll and we're growing into photography together.

Here's another one, an interesting old tree. I took this thinking it would be interesting to see how well I could render the detail in the dark bark, itself also int shadow, at the same time trying not to blow out the brighter areas. Not sure if this is a good result or not, but it does look true to the moment. Excuse the hair on the scan in the flickr link!

Horeseman L45
    Schneider 135mm
    Ilford FP4+

F22 for 1sec, incident metered off the tree trunk.
    Developed in Ilford ID-11 1+3 for 20mins.
    Scanned on Epson V850.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/192855...n/photostream/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old tree at molonglo little.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	216079
    Speed Graphic Pacemaker
    Schneider Krueznach Symmar-S 135mm

Borderland State Park, North Easton, MA 02356
    Chamonix 045n-2
    CM Fujinon W 125mm f5.6
    Delta 100
    51114036862_ea5bc5a657_h by Chris, on Flickr

John, you are off to an enviably good start, in my view. Nice work indeed. Since you asked for comment, I offer.

You sense of composition is strong. Among the three images, I find the second, of the old tree, the most successful. You have some wonderful rhythms and counterpoint going on there between the large trunk, the thin one oppositely curved in the background, and other elements, all of which as working together. It's an image that takes time to read, leading us through it. The exposure and quality of light in the print are good.

In the first image, you have handled a challenging subject well, and it appears that your print was looking to capture the subdued lighting. Compositionally it works pretty well, though the lower right area of ground rather large without much going on. To my eye, the image becomes a bit stronger by cropping a bit off the bottom, which strengthens the role of the nearly horizontal thick limb on the ground. That, however, also would require some means of drawing attention back to the lower left truck area to restore that to leading us into the image's space. I think the print would benefit from a little lightening of the higher values. Don't worry about being too literal here; try a few different things. You might increase contrast slightly overall, or dodge the wattle flowers, or both.

I agree with you on the third, rocks image. I would try playing with a pair of cropping L's on the print or proof sheet to see if you find a smaller area the might work on its own; I think think there are several possibilities.

It's great that you and your daughter are photographing together.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Chris, very fine feeling of light and place.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by John Power View Post
    First day out with my large format set up! I had a blast.
    I'd be really happy to hear any constructive feedback on composition in particular! And exposure and anything else
    (I have no idea how to link straight to flickr as neatly as others do, sorry)
    Some nice images John, you're off to a good start.

As for linking to flickr - click on your image in flickr, click on the share arrow in the lower right. It should open to the BBCode selected. Copy what's in the box to your post here, below that you can choose the size of the image you want to appear in your comment here. After pasting the BBCode into your comment I like to hit enter twice in the code just before the name of the image, then the image name and your name will be a bit below the image in your post. I do this in advanced mode and preview it before posting to see if I did it right. Hope this helps.

John,

What a great tree! I love the lighting and composition.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Chris7521 View Post
    Borderland State Park, North Easton, MA 02356
    Chamonix 045n-2
    CM Fujinon W 125mm f5.6
    Delta 100
    51114036862_ea5bc5a657_h by Chris, on Flickr
    I spent a lot of time at Borderlands went I went to college in Easton (Stonehill College), the nearby sheep pasture is a good place for photo opportunities as well..

Kevin, Peter, and Philip, thanks so much for the encouragement, and especially for the feedback and tips.

Looking forward to putting it into practice this weekend!
    Speed Graphic Pacemaker
    Schneider Krueznach Symmar-S 135mm

Quote Originally Posted by John Power View Post
    Overall, I find this too busy, no subject that stands out. But lots of nice details to zoom around and check out.
    It is not that the scene is busy, it is that as viewers, our eyes have no where to really go except into the drink in the center of the image. Slightly raising the lens (or camera) to include the whole curve and shape of the upper light rock form. Work with that form and its relationship to the form created by the pool.

Use the foreground to propel one's eyes into the image...right now it acts somewhat as a barrier. Raising the lens would change this relationship also, allowing our eyes to be led over the rocks and into the pool that is partially reflecting a wonderful white form of rock above it.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China