Page 1502 of 1712 FirstFirst ... 502100214021452149215001501150215031504151215521602 ... LastLast
Results 15,011 to 15,020 of 17114

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Mohammad Reza Alvandi ALVANDI Camera's Avatar

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by unityofsaints View Post
    That red filter really pops, well done!
    Thank you.

Lake Angeles, Washington. Olympic National Park. Shen-Hao HZX45-IIA (4x5) camera, Caltar II 90mm/f6.8 lens, Fuji Acros film. 2 sec @ f45.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake Angeles Fog.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	207433

Printed a couple days ago (pt/pd) -- from a bike ride with the 5x7 back in late July.

Ossagon Creek, 2020
    Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, CA

5x7 TMax400, 180mm FujiW, f/32 @ 4 seconds, PyroCatHD developer
    Print: Platinum/palladium on Premium Rag paper, warm Potassium oxalate developer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Creek,OssogonRocks.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Ossagon Creek, 2020
    That's a lovely grotto that reminds me of scenes here Back East... One thing I've been wondering about lately is how successful 5x7 contact prints are when the subject is highly detailed/fractal like this one, or whether you were wishing the 11x14 was along for the mo' better treatment. (FWIW, my favorite TJ Cooper photos are pretty much the early 5x7 work from Shropshire...)

It is about a mile bike ride with a drop of 1100 feet (roughly 1.75 km ride with a drop of about a third of a km in elevation) down a single track. Still figuring on how to get the 11x14 on the pushbike (with electric assist) on such a track...such things as vibration, stability, ease of access, and my chances of returning with intact camera, holders and lenses.

After the mile drop, the trail gets to this little creek. From here it flows through channels in the sands, not making it to the ocean. The trail continues down the coast at the base of the Gold Bluffs for a couple miles of single track...had to unpack the bike and lift is a meter or so over a couple trees across the trail and there were a few interesting areas, but eventually one gets to a dirt road, then back to single track, then pavement back to the van...25 miles or something like that.

But 5x7 can be sweet in hand and on the wall. This particular image is getting matted and framed over the next couple days for a local show. The image has relatively large areas of different texture and tonality that are worked together to keep the eye interested without the need for finer detail. I provide a relatively large area for the eye to fall into and rest within the image (the pool beneath the fall). I even give the viewer a nice moss covered rock to sit on an watch the creek. If I made the image any bigger, they would probably just fall into the creek (not a bad thing...).

I also make pt/pd prints from 120 negatives -- they teach one about the importance of form over detail. So when I do happen to have the 8x10 or 11x14 along with me, I am reminded that the forms the light creates carry as much weight in the composition as does objects and the incredible detail that an 11x14 can bring to the image.

Also at the show, I'll put out cheap dollar store magnifying glasses for people who want to see detail in the 5x7s or smaller prints...LOL!

Images -- the bike w/ 5x7 (in process of reloading after lifting the bike over some trees), and a view from the trail not far from there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GoldBluff1.jpg   BikeLoad2.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

On that bike ride, this is part of what is know as the Ossagon Rocks. This is looking south, light low fog, with just a touch of sun coming through. One of my favorite qualities of light when I get out from under the redwoods.

For something so simple as a big rock, this was very difficult to compose. Determining the visual center of the mass and how to place it within the image, how the negative space around the rock works and how to present the rock -- as a stable point, or a with a sense of movement, or potential movement. I felt the need to include a bit of the ocean and waves. I had brought a total of 5 sheets of film for the day, I had already used one for the creek, and it was early in the trip.

Ossagon Rocks, 2020
    Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park
    Platinum/palladium print

5x7 TMax400, 180mm Fuji W, f/32 @ 1/15th, PyrocatHD developer

PS -- the blacks in the below reproduction are a little dark and the contrast should be a little lower.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hutchins_OssagonRock.jpg  

I might call you an electric horseman

I like your tiny 5X7 prints especially the tiny falls

and your stories
    Tin Can

I also make pt/pd prints from 120 negatives -- they teach one about the importance of form over detail. So when I do happen to have the 8x10 or 11x14 along with me, I am reminded that the forms the light creates carry as much weight in the composition as does objects and the incredible detail that an 11x14 can bring to the image.
    Thanks for the detailed elaboration--I'm just starting to appreciate how blokes like, say, John Blakemore, move our eyes through a scene...the idea of finding rest stops for our astral projections is very appealing!

Printed a couple days ago (pt/pd) -- from a bike ride with the 5x7 back in late July.

Ossagon Creek, 2020

5x7 TMax400, 180mm FujiW, f/32 @ 4 seconds, PyroCatHD developer
    Print: Platinum/palladium on Premium Rag paper, warm Potassium oxalate developer
    Thank you Vaughn for posting. I need to get the 5x7 back out there and practice. I've been struggling with the 5x7 and the size of the negative/print (and just generally in a "photographer's block") so seeing this is inspiring me to get back out to the creek while it's still warm.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I am impatiently waiting for the leaves to drop and open up the understory!

This 5x7 was from a backpack trip over the 4th of July. A grove of redwoods taken from Redwood Creek. These redwoods go up about 150 feet and higher before their first branches. Total height is in the 300 to 350 foot range. I might try another backpack up there late Sept or early October. Creek runs too high once the rains start.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hutchins_DolosonGroveRedCr.jpg