Page 1444 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 44494413441394143414421443144414451446145414941544 ... LastLast
Results 14,431 to 14,440 of 17143

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Tymon View Post
    I would try a lower paper grade first.
    I was using RC paper. There's some extensive notes in my journey with this print here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Darkroom/co...t_in_comments/

and here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Darkroom/co...g_and_burning/

I'm done with the thing, I want to move on to some other prints, it's been a good learning experience, but I'm giving up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Thanks Steven. I see what you mean. What a weird sky; the color just disappears on the left side....reminds me of a couple of my shots where what's going on in the sky and on the ground just seem to be fighting each other for attention instead of working together.... In your case, the intense yellow seems (to me) to be fighting the low light in the canyon recesses.
    I agree. After looking at it, I think it should be desaturated slightly to keep it from fighting for attention and instead become a supporting character.

Yavapai Point, 75mm NIkkor f4.5@f/32, 4x5 Portra160, approximately 3 min exposure. 0.9 Reverse grad nd. No dust deleting on this scan.

I do like the contrasting colors and the depth. Another excellent one Steven!
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.

Hi Steven,

this is a beautiful composition and view. I wonder though if there's a general lack of separation in the hills, especially the ones on the far side of the valley, but even the closer one with the tree in the foreground. It all seems a little bit muddy or indistinct in this specific shot. I don't see the same issue in the other photographs you've posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Yavapai Point, 75mm NIkkor f4.5@f/32, 4x5 Portra160, approximately 3 min exposure. 0.9 Reverse grad nd. No dust deleting on this scan.
    I'm usually a b&w kind of guy, but these are gorgeous. I can feel the grandeur and atmosphere of the place, even I never was there in person

This recent image of the Canyon is very good. This is the sort of light I walked in along the rim while 'commuting' to work in 1977 (late snow in May). I walked during sunrise from the Bright Angel Lodge to just shy of Yavapai Point before heading away from the rim towards the park headquarters. You captured it very very well. You have allowed the light to create the scale and grandeur of the Canyon...with some help with composition, of course!

6x6TLL -- the lack of separation or muddiness you sense may be due to the scale of the 'valley'. That pointy mountain on the horizon is about 10 miles away.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post
    Hi Steven,

this is a beautiful composition and view. I wonder though if there's a general lack of separation in the hills, especially the ones on the far side of the valley, but even the closer one with the tree in the foreground. It all seems a little bit muddy or indistinct in this specific shot. I don't see the same issue in the other photographs you've posted.
    You are probably right. I have been leaning towards not opening shadows too much and not as much saturation.

Revised Yavapai Point based on some feedback from a member. I avoided originally going this way to avoid overdoing it. But this does have a certain appeal. One thing I am always amazed by is how different the Canyon can look day to day and hour to hour.