Page 1416 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 41691613161366140614141415141614171418142614661516 ... LastLast
Results 14,151 to 14,160 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Thanks Pali!

Agree Brandon. I'll have to make some prints and see what I can get, with the focus issue I mentioned above on the 300mm shot.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I've been having a lot of problems with my Chamonix lately.
    I have solved most of sudden out of focus issues with a Cham by two things:

* Replacing the original nuts on the rear standard with wing-nuts from Home Depot. The original nuts are weak and wear out.
    * Using a short piece of aluminum carpet trim (its length slightly exceeding camera bed width) squeezed between front and rear standards when I assemble the camera to shoot with 58-150mm lenses. That is to keep the standards precisely parallel to each other. Not needed for longer lens as with these lenses the front standard can be precisely aligned against the edge of the bed.

These are good suggestions for helping alignment. I need to do some tests to see if my film plane is out of place from the GG image, rather than an alignment issue.

Bryan,

I like the images of Yellow Branch Falls. Also, it occurred to me that if the same shot were taken after the leaves had fallen the water would look like icicles.

Keith

I am in the early stage of making a set of small clamps to use on my Chamonix 45H-1 to keep the front and rear standards parallel. I find that the rear one especially can get a slight swing in it that you wouldn't notice unless you look for it. So for now, I have got in the habit of checking front and rear standards as part of my set up routine. I know your supposed to do this any ways, but since these are held by friction, it really needs to be done each time. The clamps will prevent this and will be used to zero out if swing is ever used. They will also allow shifting without any swing being introduced.

Keith, I definitely need to return in the fall/winter!

Steven, interesting that the H model is still problematic. I figured the refined design would be less prone to misalignment. I'm still slumming with the very first model (that I bought used back in like 2011).

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Nice work. How did you scan? Linear Raw in 16 bit grey or 48 bit rgb? If rgb, did you convert to 16 bit grey at some point?
    Hi Steve,

Technical question - I had to wait until back at home to look at my scanning software! Scanned as linear raw 48bit RGB and converted to 16 bit grey later.

Cheers

Graham

That works great. You will get the benefit of the 48bit rgb but output to grey. I usually keep it as 48bit rgb which gives me options in photoshop for the processing. I can pass it thru Nik SilverEfxpro if wanted or use many different options for the final black and white. But your method works great as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I am in the early stage of making a set of small clamps to use on my Chamonix 45H-1 to keep the front and rear standards parallel. I find that the rear one especially can get a slight swing in it that you wouldn't notice unless you look for it. So for now, I have got in the habit of checking front and rear standards as part of my set up routine. I know your supposed to do this any ways, but since these are held by friction, it really needs to be done each time. The clamps will prevent this and will be used to zero out if swing is ever used. They will also allow shifting without any swing being introduced.
    Would love to see the setup once it’s done and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay. Need to get a machinist to make them. Pretty simple. I have the parts, just need to have it made.