Page 1010 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 105109109601000100810091010101110121020106011101510 ... LastLast
Results 10,091 to 10,100 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by Jiri Vasina View Post
    Fantastic images, by all the past authors... Each is completely different and each is very interesting. I really like the greens in the Iceland images by JaZ99. The frost on the waterfall by fishbulb is fantastic. And Jim's images are like from another world...
    Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    One of the best of Multnomah Falls I've seen, and I've seen a bunch.
    Thanks for the complements! I love testing out new equipment at Multnomah falls because I have been there many times and it's easy to find nice shots.

Capitol Reef was great when I was there, I just wish I had been able to stay longer and explore more. I will definitely revisit if I can. So much to see there, especially the drive to the South of the park on HWY 12. Great images Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Spectacular!!

May I ask why you chose the 450 nikkor over the 450 fuji? And why you choose the 150 nikkor over the 150 SS XL?

Just curious.

What film was used? Thanks.

Your metering and framing is excellent!

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Stone, here are the answer your questions. As to why the Nikkor over the Fuji, I actually have the Fuji 450 also, but got the Nikkor 450M at such a nice price, I decided to keep the Fuji in my 4x5/5x7 pack. The Nikkor being an F9 is just slightly brighter on the ground glass although it probably is hard to tell the difference. As to the Nikkor 150, it simply was the lens I in that focal length that I could afford. Got it for about $500, that is the reason. That being said, it is one sharp lens and I am trying to use it more although I am not that adept at using wide angles, and by that I mean it is not my usual way of seeing although I am trying to see "wide" in more of my shooting. The first image was on Provia, the second on Astia, and the third on Velvia 50. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    Thanks everyone for the comments.

Stone, here are the answer your questions. As to why the Nikkor over the Fuji, I actually have the Fuji 450 also, but got the Nikkor 450M at such a nice price, I decided to keep the Fuji in my 4x5/5x7 pack. The Nikkor being an F9 is just slightly brighter on the ground glass although it probably is hard to tell the difference. As to the Nikkor 150, it simply was the lens I in that focal length that I could afford. Got it for about $500, that is the reason. That being said, it is one sharp lens and I am trying to use it more although I am not that adept at using wide angles, and by that I mean it is not my usual way of seeing although I am trying to see "wide" in more of my shooting. The first image was on Provia, the second on Astia, and the third on Velvia 50. Jim
    Thanks Jim!

Totally makes sense, I would have done all of the same things except the Nikkor 150 the ONLY reason I DIDN'T go with that lens was the rear element wasn't small enough for the Technika boards I use, AND it didn't take 77mm filters which the 150 SS XL did, but it would have been nice to save so much money! Damn good price.

Thanks again!

Here are a couple more from Utah. Both images on 8x10 Provia 100F and both with the Fuji 300. I find photographing scenes like the first one a bit of a love/hate thing. I almost did not take the shot because I did not like the snow on "half" of the scene, but I have come to grips with it. Would love to to a scene like this with fresh snow. Timing would be everything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails winter snows and domes.jpg   light on the mesa .jpg  

Here are a couple more from Utah. Both images on 8x10 Provia 100F and both with the Fuji 300. I find photographing scenes like the first one a bit of a love/hate thing. I almost did not take the shot because I did not like the snow on "half" of the scene, but I have come to grips with it. Would love to to a scene like this with fresh snow. Timing would be everything.
    The fact that the ground is predominately red, makes the snow a non-issue for me. I certainly understand the concern over balance, but the color has plenty of weight to balance out the brighter luminosity of the snow. The uncovered slope in the LRC also balances the heavier pink portion of the sky on the left hand side of the image to my eye. The line created by the covered/uncovered transition also serves to add some pull/depth. I guess I'm saying that I think it works. Not what you were after perhaps, but still valid IMO.

Always good to see your work, Jim. Pity they are so small. I would imagine these compositions working particularly well as large prints.

Oh I really like that first one, almost looks like an ocean wave rolling through, really spectacular, your "so-so" images put me to shame.

Joel and Stone,

Thanks. Both of you have made me see it with a slightly different perspective, and for that, thanks. I seem to react to a situation and take the photo. Once in a while, I "see" the lines, light, texture, comp or whatever the term is. But so often it is pure reaction. I wish I were more cerebral in my actions. I have a friend from Grand Junction who is an electrical engineer and we are on shoots quite often. He and will observe each others image on the ground glass. I always love it when we do this because he will not only explain why he sets up the composition the way he does, but he will also "explain" to me what I am seeing or what he is seeing in my composition. After he is done explaining, I just agree. He is very deliberate, I generally just react. I am attempting to be more "cerebral."

Joel and Stone,

Thanks. Both of you have made me see it with a slightly different perspective, and for that, thanks. I seem to react to a situation and take the photo. Once in a while, I "see" the lines, light, texture, comp or whatever the term is. But so often it is pure reaction. I wish I were more cerebral in my actions. I have a friend from Grand Junction who is an electrical engineer and we are on shoots quite often. He and will observe each others image on the ground glass. I always love it when we do this because he will not only explain why he sets up the composition the way he does, but he will also "explain" to me what I am seeing or what he is seeing in my composition. After he is done explaining, I just agree. He is very deliberate, I generally just react. I am attempting to be more "cerebral."
    Cerebral gets in the way sometimes. You're doing just fine IMHO.

OK, hope I am not boring you with images. I have a backlog, but will try to parse them out and hopefully not bore everyone. Here are a couple from a past winter and fall in Zion that I finally got scanned. Both taken with 8x10 Provia 100F and with the Fuji 300 lens. I have been fortunate to be in Zion a few times when the snows have hit. As a rule, you don't have long as the snows generally melt very quickly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails snow in the canyon .jpg   november snow and cottonwoods .jpg  

Jim,

All are nice, but I particularly like "Light on the Mesa". Wonderful clouds!

Bob