Page 1480 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 48098013801430147014781479148014811482149015301580 ... LastLast
Results 14,791 to 14,800 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Any time you make adjustments with the back standard, you will effect the shape of the image on the ground glass, and thus the film. The effect might be subtle or exaggerated, but it does occur.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    Any time you make adjustments with the back standard, you will effect the shape of the image on the ground glass, and thus the film. The effect might be subtle or exaggerated, but it does occur.
    So I should NOT use asymmetric tilts when shooting anything that has a building in it since the Chamonix uses the back standard. I should use the traditional method of using the front standard for tilts and ignore asymmetric tilts?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    So I should NOT use asymmetric tilts when shooting anything that has a building in it since the Chamonix uses the back standard. I should use the traditional method of using the front standard for tilts and ignore asymmetric tilts?
    There are no rules. Your ground glass has a grid. Just use the vertical and horizontal lines to get the image the way you want it to look. I was being extremely pedantic with my comment about the slightly tilted appearance of the barn only because I know that you are experimenting with view camera movements. And if the barn was actually off-vertical, then my comment is totally useless! I can't find it right now, but Austin Granger has a photo somewhere of a barn that is exceedingly tilted by the prevailing winds, it has nothing to do with the photographer or camera! But seriously, try not to think in terms of rules or the technicalities of your swings and tilts (i.e. try to ignore your engineering background!), use the ground glass as your guide.

I love old barns - both Maryland, where I now reside, and Western Upstate New York, where I grew up are full of them. One visually interesting aspect of these old-old buildings is the likelihood that at least one, of not all, of the once "vertical" members are now not-so-vertical. Some of these old gems begin to go "parallelogram" and finally turn into jumbles of weather beaten slats under one snow-load too many. Utility poles are another "vertical" that maybe isn't.- alfredian

Bagnac Castle, France.

Speed Graphic, FP4+, 90mm Optar

Two shots on Provia 100 4x5 slide film.

Suilven Sunrise, Scottish Highlands.

Taken late October 2016 along the road to Clachtoll, near Lochinver in the Scottish Highlands. We had arrived at Clachtoll intending to head to the beach, but it was insanely windy. So, with time before sunrise fast disappearing we traced our steps back and came across a viewpoint. Hell, the photo was taken 10 metres from the car! Doesn't always have to be a hard slog to be so gloriously rewarded! Technically flawed with flare and too strong a sun (if only couldhave been 15 minutes earlier) but I like the feelings it evokes in me.

Chamonix 045N-2, Rodenstock 135mm f5.6@f16 and 2/3, 1/2s, Kodak Portra 160@ISO 100, no filters. Epson V700 scan, lightroom and colorperfect processing.

Suilven sunrise by Graham Meek, on Flickr

Honeysuckle and Covered Bridge - Forsyth, GA
    Intrepid 4x5, Nikkor 90mm f/8, TMX, Rodinal 1:50, N+2 development

Found a little county park with a covered bridge, (re)built in 1901 and repaired in in 90s. The water was very calm, giving a nice reflection, and these honeysuckles seemed like a nice foreground. Heavily pushed the development to increase the contrast as it was getting late and there was little light left. I also took a color image, so it will be interesting to see if the white and yellow of the honeysuckle come through well.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Trak around my neighborhood.

Chamonix 45N-2 with Symmar 5.6/150
    Foma 400 @ei200 on HC110 1+47
    Scanned with DSLR and macro lens
    Pressing the shutter is the only easy thing

Green-Spring
    Intrepid 4x5, Nikkor 90mm f/8, Portra 400

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio