Page 1482 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 48298213821432147214801481148214831484149215321582 ... LastLast
Results 14,811 to 14,820 of 17143

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Let's see: Christmas fern (?), Virginia Creeper, Poison Ivy...that might be the only ten square feet of Georgia without kudzu. At any rate, well seen as they say--and the Portra seems to be handling the greens pretty well the way you've processed it.
    I'd say Virginia Creeper (5 leaves). Definitely not poison Ivy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
    That how my immunity went away, a large enough dose of urishiol will do you in.
    Another PSA: if you're regularly wading through the stuff, in the name of domestic harmony, think about segregating your wash away from your wife's clothes in case she's a little more sensitive to urishiol than you are.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Brand new to LF, this is the fourth photograph I've made. Fujinon 150/5.6, Intrepid 4x5 mkIV, Ilford Hp5 at box speed developed in ID-11 and shoddily scanned and stitched together on my Epson V600. Would appreciate any criticism or advice that could help me in the future. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HP540045Tahoe15May2020373-Pano-Edit-2.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	203788

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Another PSA: if you're regularly wading through the stuff, in the name of domestic harmony, think about segregating your wash away from your wife's clothes in case she's a little more sensitive to urishiol than you are.

Don't ask me how I know this.
    One of the reasons I ended up doing the laundry instead of my wife...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by superman9 View Post
    Brand new to LF, this is the fourth photograph I've made. Fujinon 150/5.6, Intrepid 4x5 mkIV, Ilford Hp5 at box speed developed in ID-11 and shoddily scanned and stitched together on my Epson V600. Would appreciate any criticism or advice that could help me in the future. Click image for larger version. 

Nice image. As to advice, it's hard to tell anything technical from a web-size scan. Just off hand, it seems like your contrast could use some work, as well as your development - I read the sky as showing uneven development, most likely from insufficient agitation. Of course that could be the stitching you referred to. But I really do like the composition and the overall feel of the image.

Thank you for the advice. I don't think the issue is with the development—my negative looks solid—i think you're correct it's an issue with the scanning but that's something I don't really know how to trouble shoot. My guess is it has to do with the negative sitting unevenly but i could be wrong. On the contrast front, what would you do differently? Do you have any resources you could point me to with info relating to my contrast issues?

Thank you for the advice. I don't think the issue is with the development—my negative looks solid—i think you're correct it's an issue with the scanning but that's something I don't really know how to trouble shoot. My guess is it has to do with the negative sitting unevenly but i could be wrong. On the contrast front, what would you do differently? Do you have any resources you could point me to with info relating to my contrast issues?
    I know the woes of trying to scan 4x5 on a V600. Other than that a very nice image, anything I could criticize would be nit picking. It very easy to miss things when you are out taking pictures.

Very nice start! I agree with the above that the sky appears to reveal some uneven development, but that could simply be scanning & stitching. Personally, I would like to see the foreground rocks (the ones sticking out of the lake) larger and of more dominance. Don't know if it would have even been possible--given available lenses--I would have eliminated the submerged rocks and used a little back tilt causing those foreground rocks to "loom" a bit. Placement of the focus plane would have been somewhat tricky, but I think it could work. All that said, it's one man's opinion and simply that...an opinion! I think it's a very nice image nonetheless.

Superman9, I like that image. Very well seen & executed. Some may not like the deep shadows of the foreground rocks, wanting to see detail there, but I have no issue with it. Well done, an excellent first effort.

I think you're off to a great start! Not sure what's up with the sky, the rest looks pretty good. It's your eye and your composition, although personally I agree with the other poster who would crop out the foreground submerged stones and use back tilt to make the foreground rocks a bit larger.

Nitpicking aside, a great start!