Page 1503 of 1714 FirstFirst ... 503100314031453149315011502150315041505151315531603 ... LastLast
Results 15,021 to 15,030 of 17135

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    These redwoods go up about 150 feet and higher before their first branches. Total height is in the 300 to 350 foot range.
    Now do Hyperion.

That's an amazing biome--I don't live far from the biggest trees in the East (the tulip poplars in Joyce Kilmer and one or two hemlocks in GSMNP that have so far escaped wooly adelgid infestation--but they're topping out pretty much where your redwoods start to crown.

I have not been to Hyperion. A fellow offered me the coordinates and there is probably quite the social trail leading to it now. It's where I go backpacking along Redwood Creek -- but I have no desire to go see it. This grove and another two cathedral-like groves I photograph in along here contain many, if not most, of the tallest 20 trees in the world. There is even a Dougwood -- a Douglas fir and a redwood that have grown side-by-side for centuries, becoming one tree.

My last trip over 4th of July, I thought I heard some large fireworks go off down the valley, thinking that the folks I past a mile or so down the creek were celebrating. Instead, on the hike out I found a newly fallen redwood where I had stopped for lunch on the way in. It fell across the creek (about 60 to 80 feet across here) and was damning up the creek a bit. It is kinda of neat to walk on top a fallen redwood longer that a football pitch/field.

Enough pre-caffeine rambling.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Instead, on the hike out I found a newly fallen redwood where I had stopped for lunch on the way in.
    Ha, apparently there are "widow-makers," and widow-makers ....hopefully none of the Final Destination movies is in your Netflix queue.

Grand Canyon South, Lipon Point 2018 July Monsoon. This fee like polishing a turd. It just seems off. But after six months of no photography work, I need a hard one to work one to refresh my skills. This is more than a snap shot and less than a portfolio imho. Getting back to the Canyon this weekend. Was there two weeks ago and got pummeled with a storm. Good thing my camera was anchored down or it would have flew away.

I would try to print darker so the natural vignetting can do its thing and work on the color balance, those clouds look too red but dont know if that would make everything else look off if corrected.

Yeah, they do have a red tint to them. I can get rid of it with some work. In fact, I played with that the other night. You remove the tint from everything and then use a gradient filter to mask off the areas you don't want messed with and then paint out the other areas you want left alone. Thanks for the observation!

In the Land of Red clouds often have a Red tint to them too.

Grand Canyon South Rim at Sunset. Tmax100 4x5, 75mm Nikkor@f/32. Shot July 2018.

Hauled myself out of bed at 4am yesterday, drove 1.5 hours north and then hiked about 30 minutes to this spot (hiking at maximum speed because I could tell that the best light was already passing, normally takes more like an hour). Unfortunately I missed the lovely pre-sunrise glow but I like the shot anyway, I thought you'd be able to see more of the birds flying around the rocks but the waves in the background are too chaotic for them to stand out.

Shot on Portra 400 with my Chamonix 4x5 and a Fuji 135mm lens.
    For a gallery of my work and to buy prints, please visit my website:
    www.andrewburnsnz.com

Or for information about the Midtone Machines automatic film developer:
    Midtone Machines