Page 1538 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 538103814381488152815361537153815391540154815881638 ... LastLast
Results 15,371 to 15,380 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by Meekyman View Post
    The Cullin, Skye, Scotland

We were very lucky to spend a week on Skye back in October last year. Lucky because it's a beautiful place to visit and lucky just to get away from the day to day grind. This day was amazing - got pelted with large hailstones and amazingly stormy light. The Cullin is the mountain ranges in the distance and the photo was taken from a walk to Camasunary Bay.
    The Cullin, Skye by Graham Meek, on Flickr

Chamonix 045N-2, Rodenstock Sironar N 135mm f5.6@f22 and 1/2, 1/4s, Kodak Ektar 100, no filters. Epson V700 scan, colourperfect and lightroom processing.
    Very nice. Went to Camasunary Bay a few years back, it's a really beautiful sight as you go down the path with the mountains towering over...

Saddest thing was to see the large piles of plastic waste on the high tide line. Some bays seem to attract it.

For me, plastic is the elephant in the room - we still produce, purchase and discard plastic items by the mega ton, every day.

Our children's children will wonder what on earth we were thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by peter brooks View Post

They have been for awhile...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Very nice. Went to Camasunary Bay a few years back, it's a really beautiful sight as you go down the path with the mountains towering over...

Saddest thing was to see the large piles of plastic waste on the high tide line. Some bays seem to attract it.

For me, plastic is the elephant in the room - we still produce, purchase and discard plastic items by the mega ton, every day.

Like the way you captured the mood, I was on the island of Rum 4 years ago, spent a morning picking up plastic off the shoreline near the mausoleum. Made a pile as big as a car hoping that someone who lives there would dispose of it. Stuffed my rucksack with a fair amount and put it in the recycling bin back home on the mainland. I now carry a bin bag with me whenever I go to the sea and pick up litter as I explore the coast. I know that it is probably futile but I always feel better for doing it.

^^^ Good on you, Norm.
    We need more people like you.

Cypress Stand, Walter F. George Reservoir, near Ft. Gaines, GA

Speed Graphic, 15" f/5.6 Wollensak Tele-Raptar + 6-stop ND filter, T-Max 100 dev'd in Pyrocat (N+1), cropped to 3:5 aspect ratio:

I would've taken this with my 12x20 but I would need a >1500mm lens which I don't have. Or a boat.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I also shot this on Efke which retained highlight detail, but I'm not sure that is really a necessary thing for this image. Thoughts? Here's the Efke shot, and a slightly tighter crop:

My other thought is an early-morning re-shoot of this sometime with a slightly longer lens (500mm should do it) and better light from the rising sun, since I'm aimed roughly west. I was thinking of Michael Kenna's work when I shot this, and here I was going for the look of his silhouettes in snow images.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Small town, South Carolina, US

On the computer screen I can't tell that much. Like the first composition best although if possible would have moved the trees slightly to the right as you did in the second image. Great image!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I also shot this on Efke which retained highlight detail, but I'm not sure that is really a necessary thing for this image. Thoughts? Here's the Efke shot, and a slightly tighter crop:

Not so much for the details in the snow but because of deeper blacks I prefer the Efke version

My other thought is an early-morning re-shoot of this sometime with a slightly longer lens (500mm should do it) and better light from the rising sun, since I'm aimed roughly west. I was thinking of Michael Kenna's work when I shot this, and here I was going for the look of his silhouettes in snow images.

Hi Peter,

Thanks and totally agree it really is a beautiful sight.

Damn shame about the plastic waste. Honestly, wasn't that bad when we were there. Some waste around the bothy but maybe what you say was just the tide bringing in stuff that shouldn't be dumped in the sea?

Graham

Two more from Skye, Scotland. Taken last autumn on a wet, low cloud sort of day which was pretty common! A very familiar location - Fairy Pools - but we got a little bit away from the human motorway in the end (in photo 2 at least). Both oroginally colour images but just didn't work for me that way, so converted to black and white. I shot some black and white film too....just waiting to get it processed.

Chamonix 045N-2, Rodenstock 135mm f5.6@f22, 1/4s, Kodak Ektar 100. Epson V700 scan, colourperfect, lightroom and silver efex pro2 processing
    Fairy Pools, Skye by Graham Meek, on Flickr

Chamonix 045N-2, 135 mm Rodenstock Sironar N f5.6@f22, 1/4s, Portra 400 @ISO 320. Epson V700 scan, lightroom and colourperfect processing and converted with silver efex2
    Sgurr an Fheadain, Skye by Graham Meek, on Flickr