Page 1605 of 1714 FirstFirst ... 605110515051555159516031604160516061607161516551705 ... LastLast
Results 16,041 to 16,050 of 17135

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

I shot these several years ago, but recently had them drum scanned. I am tempted to get back into 8x10.

Both images were made on 8x10 Ilford Delta 100, rated at EI50. First one is with a red filter and second a yellow filter.

I suspect I will be making several versions of these two over the coming days before I decide upon printing.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddle View Post
    Thanks Alan. It was portra 160.
    I usually use "popping" Velvia 50 but I like your peaceful approach using Portra.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I usually use "popping" Velvia 50 but I like your peaceful approach using Portra.
    "peaceful approach". I like that description.
    I dont shoot color very often, i purposely only took color with me on the trip to have no other choice, I do like the more toned down color look usually.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I find that can be the case with many images, but in this case I think Steven did a good job of bringing together a chaotic foreground and the distant grand landscape. A bit of vertigo to help create the feeling of depth and distance.

The color is tough to take in.

Colors are shifting due to time of day, parts of the landscape is under open sky and some not, colored light is reflecting off the clouds and off the landscape throwing colors around here and there, and so forth. The film is not recording light 'normally', there is no one single white-balance for the scene. If the exposures are long, the color layers do not respond in the neat linear fashion as they would normally (a form of reciprocity failure?). Post-processing can adjust these shifts to a certain extent. In Cape Light, Joel Meyerowitz used a long-exposure Tungsten-balanced color negative film (8x10) in daylight and corrected when printing (wet prints).

Steven's scene is during twilight, so I believe it is presented lighter and with more contrast than one might experience otherwise (depending on one's night vision), which can change one's perception of color. And people's eyes and brain record color differently. What one person sees and remembers will not match the next person. Which what makes color printing challenging.

I saw the water color and immediately thought of the glacial lakes of Patagonia.
    I feel free to point the camera up or down as the image calls for it...but it is nice starting off level.
    Back in the '77 I headed out the East Rim Drive and out of Grand Canyon NP. Headed north. Mid-day and the all the clouds were pink on the bottom -- red light was bouncing off the landscape up to the clouds. I never saw that back home where everything is green. But it would have messed with someone printing a color neg and trying to get a normal color balance.
    Nice critique. Thank you. It can be tough shooting at this time of day. Harder than sunrise especially facing aft. I would say as I think I did before, there can be a scene in a scene. I most typically though shoot with 75mm to attempt that grand view of places like this or the Grand Canyon my last couple trips to Canyoy, I tried different approach using my 210mm almost exclusively, whis still pretty wide shot for 4x5 compared to full frame 35mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrick View Post
    I shot these several years ago, but recently had them drum scanned. I am tempted to get back into 8x10.

Both images were made on 8x10 Ilford Delta 100, rated at EI50. First one is with a red filter and second a yellow filter.

I suspect I will be making several versions of these two over the coming days before I decide upon printing.

I like both!

Another from the same trip. Also portra160.
    Inlike this and previous one. Soft colors, reason I prefer portra for landscapes. Especially sunrise/sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I like both!
    Thank you Steve. The areas which are in perfect focus has an astonishing amount if detail. Im certainly wanting to get an 8x10 camera again. I miss having movements.

I love my movements on my 4x5. I have a Toyo 8x10. Too heavy for field, looking at one from Chamonix..

Another from the same trip. Also portra160.
    Hi!

this is wonderful!

Cheers
    Antonio

from a trip to Colorado over the summer.
    Hi!

Fantastic ... wonderful tones and colors!

Antonio