Page 1116 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 116616101610661106111411151116111711181126116612161616 ... LastLast
Results 11,151 to 11,160 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    …the box elder tree was with a 300 or possibly a 210. Film was Velvia 50.
    I really like the energy of this one, and it's easier to feel than to describe – the branches seem to carry a powerful centrifugal force radiating away from the center into three of the frame corners (yet there's a quiet center). In fact, I'm curious if you composed this with principal attention to corners. I hope people don't pass by this image without clicking it (the second image on right), for the thumbnail version conceals the energy I'm trying to describe. Simple image, but a jolt of outward-seeking energy.

Joshua Tree California. Jumbo Rocks.
    Ilford HP5, Rodinal 1:50 for about 6 minutes.

Haven't had much time for working on any new film scans. I finally fine tuned a couple from last year. Both images taken in Zion National Park with an Ebony 8x10. Not sure of the lenses used, but I think the scrub oak tree was with a Nikkor 450 (pretty sure of that one) and the box elder tree was with a 300 or possibly a 210. Film was Velvia 50.
    The first picture has a beautiful hue to it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Goldman View Post
    Convert it in PS?
    Harley,

I have "played" with it in Photoshop but I really could not come up with a look I liked. I can attribute most of that to my lack of expertise with black and white. Next time I am out there, I will have a few sheets of black and white with me and see if I can make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I really like the energy of this one, and it's easier to feel than to describe – the branches seem to carry a powerful centrifugal force radiating away from the center into three of the frame corners (yet there's a quiet center). In fact, I'm curious if you composed this with principal attention to corners. I hope people don't pass by this image without clicking it (the second image on right), for the thumbnail version conceals the energy I'm trying to describe. Simple image, but a jolt of outward-seeking energy.
    Thanks for the comment, and actually, yes I was aware of the radiating branches. It is an area I frequent every time out there and I was attracted to the "compositional chaos" of the scene, does that make sense? The detail and texture certainly comes out in a larger print.

Thank you heroique for making me click on the thumbnail , i agree the image has far more strength once isolated from the other ,And viewed against a solid white BG . Cheers Gary

Haven't had much time for working on any new film scans. I finally fine tuned a couple from last year. Both images taken in Zion National Park with an Ebony 8x10. Not sure of the lenses used, but I think the scrub oak tree was with a Nikkor 450 (pretty sure of that one) and the box elder tree was with a 300 or possibly a 210. Film was Velvia 50.
    Great work Love the colour contrast on the the left ,As far as the image on the right is concerned i agree with a former post this image has more impact than is first apparent on the smaller view , I like it with a little off the top But personal preference .

Harley,

I have "played" with it in Photoshop but I really could not come up with a look I liked. I can attribute most of that to my lack of expertise with black and white. Next time I am out there, I will have a few sheets of black and white with me and see if I can make it work.
    Jim , Don't shoot B&W if you don't visualise that way , your images look great in color , That is your bag , i also agree with Harley , i see a B&W image in that shot , It is all about how we visualise our images . Cheers Gary

Thunderstorm at Mono Lake, comments please!

This image will soon be hanging at Newspace in Portland. This is not a big deal however, as it will be part of the member gallery show and every member is invited to submit and display work. I did submit two images, and the curator selected this one (over a nude portrait taken in a workshop there.)

So naturally I'm thinking and rethinking the printing of this image. For the show, the only criteria is that the finished size must be no larger 16x20" (framed/mounted).

With that in mind, I'd like to ask for constructive comments on my treatment of the image. Of course there is no right or wrong, but you can perhaps help me see it in a different way.

Thanks in advance. Paul

As processed. 4x5 FP4+, 1/2sec, f/64, polarizer, 210mm. HC-110 monobath.

straight scan.

Like the top one Paul , Find the treatment , has made the highlight areas more interesting