Page 1465 of 1712 FirstFirst ... 46596513651415145514631464146514661467147515151565 ... LastLast
Results 14,641 to 14,650 of 17114

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

8x10 inch glass negative, wet plate collodion process.
    Darlot Petzval lens used, 23 seconds exposure at approx f3.5

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post

8x10 inch glass negative, wet plate collodion process.
    Darlot Petzval lens used, 23 seconds exposure at approx f3.5
    Wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    Wonderful!
    Thank you Ben!

Steve, do I recall correctly that some of your shots of the Grand Canyon and Arizona desert were rather long exposures, on the scale of minutes rather than seconds?

If so, I'd like to know more, the why, how, what, as well as dealing with reciprocity with long exposure times. It looks like something I'd like to experiment with.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post
    Steve, do I recall correctly that some of your shots of the Grand Canyon and Arizona desert were rather long exposures, on the scale of minutes rather than seconds?

If so, I'd like to know more, the why, how, what, as well as dealing with reciprocity with long exposure times. It looks like something I'd like to experiment with.

Thanks.
    Sure. I will put up details shortly. Will pm as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post

Thanks.
    The primary reason is I shoot before the sun has come up and after it has gone down, 2nd is because I shoot at f/32 most of the time using iso100 film for bw/Extar and 160 for Portra. This necessitates upwards of 3-5 minute exposures. Add on a 3 stop red filter and it can be more. For night shots I will do really long exposures partly from reciprocity. I try to use Tmax or Acros as they have the best reciprocity. For color it can get tricky with color casts if the exposure is too long and then you need a color filter to correct for it (but I have done that yet)

Another reason for a long exposure is motion blur of water/clouds and to remove people from the scene who tend to walk thru it like when photographing architecture where I will use a 5 stop, 16 stop nd filter. I need to complete my set out of grad nd and nd filters as well as my rgb, and set of bw filters.

I will put together the how and send to you tonight I hope. It is a really cool form of shooting. Especially if you make a super long exposure, like over 24 hours (which I have not done yet, but want to try).

George Sheils

Wow! That's a really impressive image, Corran.

As nice as I've seen in ages.

Thanks for sharing, I was especially intrigued by the color shots you had posted that were taken early/late, as they had a really special look to them, and correcting for color (as you point out) is non-trivial at such long exposures.

I have used CC filters in Egypt with my MF gear to correct at early morning and midday, one being a bit too blue, the other too red/white, but it's been a few years.

The blur/people removal feature of some of the denser grads is pretty amazing, and on my list of things to try. I like the look of the sea between 1/4 - 1 second, haven't tried longer, but wonder if it won't turn into just a diffuse haze.

No hurry at all, I really appreciate you sharing. I'm sure many people here on the list would appreciate hearing more about it!