Page 1534 of 1714 FirstFirst ... 534103414341484152415321533153415351536154415841634 ... LastLast
Results 15,331 to 15,340 of 17135

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

David Schaller

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Yeah…about that weather. Four years prior to this (Sept. 2016) image, on the morning of the sixth of a seven-day, six (AMC) hut hike, we were having breakfast at Lakes of the Clouds hut, in the shadow of Mt. Washington…with plans to head up and over Washington, onto Clay, Jefferson, Adams, and Madison (with a final sleep over at Madison Hut) - but we found ourselves in the jaws of two storm systems…with everyone at Lakes that morning anxiously evaluating weather data on cellphones (thinking back to the days of basically wetting a finger and holding it up to the wind, and trying not to think about a winter climb here years before - on a day when this very hut lost half of its roof to the wind!)…with much discussion, some of it heated, among groups of hikers about levels of risk, personal responsibility, and plans of action. Quick exit down Ammonoosuc Ravine? Stay put? Up and over the Camel Path, over to Lion’s Head…and down? Over to Madison Hut…but via. Westside to avoid Washington - and stick to Gulfside for the duration…thereby avoiding all other peaks? Drop into the Great Gulf via. Six Husbands? (did that in a hail storm once…and the “drop” was almost literal!).

So we climbed up and over Washington that morning - so far OK but in very thick fog…then dipping below Clay, after which, in the presence of approaching thunder, we decided to go up Jefferson…on the summit of which, while in the act of exchanging cellphones with a woman so we could photograph each others hiking parties…I felt that slight but unmistakable trickle of electrons which often precedes a lightning strike. At that point we all split up and headed down separately (extremely important to avoid a potential communal zap!), but within sight of each other…down into the slightly safer scrub, and into Edmunds Col, which by its shape acts to concentrate and funnel a northwest blow with great ferocity…which on this day was accompanied by lightning, thunder, and ultimately hail - stones of which being large enough that we were forced to seek shelter on the lee side of a large rock, where the weather kept us for the better part of an hour, after which, while the hail had become a steady wind-blown rain, with the occasional crack of nearby lightning, we acknowledged that the only semi-sensible way forward would be to stay off of our remaining peaks (Adams and Madison), and head directly over to Madison Hut…where we finally (and very gratefully!) arrived as we had started that day…in a pea-soup fog.

Fast forward to Sept. 2016: in the four years which intervened between our ill fated attempt detailed above, we’d managed to finish all of the remaining NH “4000 footers” on our list…except for Adams and Madison. So, on Labor Day weekend of ‘16…we drove up into Jefferson notch, and, accompanied by “perfect” weather (abundant sunshine, just a slight breeze, temps in the low 60’s F - a comparative walk in the park!), hiked up over Caps ridge, hooked into the Gulfside trail, up over Adams, ditched our packs at Madison Hut, and, finally, finished our 4K’s on the Summit of Madison…where I handed my cellphone to a french Canadian woman (who spoke no english) who photographed us on the summit…replete with our foam-core “#48 Madison” cutout which we’d brought with us:

Attachment 210719

Later that same evening, just before dinner, we walked up a short trail to Star Lake…where we sat for awhile in the fading light, taking in the scene before us - with the summit of Mt. Madison above:

Attachment 210720

Next day - the hike out…back over Gulfside and to our car…and then, just as we’d started to round the peak of Jefferson, Marlene says “lets climb it again!” So we do…and at the summit Marlene says, “this is number one!” Say what? Yup…we’re doing them all again - starting with “Jeffs!”

And now…four years later - myself at 66yrs., my wife Marlene a “still youthful” 64…our steps having noticeably slowed, our packs feeling just a bit heavier…not at all certain that we’ll actually finish “round two” of the 48 4K’s, but still feeling motivated do what we can, for as long as we can…wherever this may take us.
    Great story John! I have done all the 48, over many, many years. Sadly I just sold our family home in Littleton, so I don't have the base for hikes in the Whites that I had my whole life. In recent years I've tried to visit less traveled areas, or the usual suspects at less busy times. There are still places in the Mahoosucs and in Western Maine that I want to explore.
    PS. Nice boots! I wore mine today on the Christmas Bird Count.

John Layton,

Most wonderful. More would be good. To be be in my mid 60's again. Brings back great memories.
    Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

Yes...the infamous Mahoosuc Notch! "Toughest mile on the AT." Have not done this...not sure if we will at this point. But yes...there are many areas less traveled, as you mention, that are worth checking out - especially these days as many of the more popular routes/trailheads have become so very crowded.

Thanks for noticing the boots...we visited Peter Limmer (grandson of P. Limmer Sr., who I'd met back in 1968), at his shop in Intervale, where he measured our feet and created a great pair of boots for each of us. Perfect...and worth the price!

Another story...my very first photo assignment at age 15 - photographing the Dartmouth Winter Outward Bound program, based at the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge, back in 1970 - one of the instructors there was Willi Unsoeld - who had a few years before (1967 I think) pioneered a new route (the "west ridge") up Everest with Dr. Thom Hornbein. On that trip Willi had lost nine of his ten toes to frostbite, and while at the lodge, as he regaled us with one of many great climibing stories...he pulled off his socks and showed us his feet - minus the toes!

Willi Unsoeld passed away a few years after this....a climbing accident on (I think) Mt. Raineer.

At any rate...years later, as Marlene and I were getting measured for our boots...I happened to tell the story of Willi and his feet to Peter Limmer - at which point he quietly retreated to a back room, then reappeared...to then place a curious, vaguely familiar looking lump of plaster into my outstretched hand - a mold of Willi's left foot! Peter's grandfather had created for Willi some custom boots for his very special feet - and suddenly, there was Willi's left foot - looking much as it had all those years ago...in my hand!

Quote Originally Posted by mat4226 View Post
    Under the Waterfall, Ash Cave
    Hocking Hills, Ohio

Tachihara 8x10 + 150 SSXL
    Ilford HP5+ in Pyrocat HD
    Talk about coincidences. I was just watching your YouTube trip to Hocking Hills today. Great shooting. Didn't realize you were on this forum too. After watching you huffing a little carrying the 8x10 up those hills, I was glad I settled on a 4x5. I started LF this year. Your Youtube videos are very interesting and informative for this newbie. Tks.

[QUOTE=John Layton;1580243]
    Willi Unsoeld passed away a few years after this....a climbing accident on (I think) Mt. Raineer.

Yes, John, I recall reading the shocking story in the paper the day after his death. Unsoeld died in an avalanche during a climb of Mt. Rainier on March 4, 1979, at the age of 52, leading over a dozen college students on an ascent of Mt. Rainier at the time. He died during the descent from their high camp in Cadaver Gap along with one student. I have a vivid memory of Cadaver Gap from the one and only time I climbed Mt. Rainier in 1971.I also recall traversing VERY quietly below some horrendous blocks of snow as large as a house at 13000 ft so as to avoid setting them in motion.

Chamonix 045F-2 - 1/15 - f/32 - Nikkor M 300mm f/9

Small town, South Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post

Chamonix 045F-2 - 1/15 - f/32 - Nikkor M 300mm f/9
    Great use of a long focus lens.

Thanks

Love this image. Also am enjoying your videos! Inspiring. But...I don't have that great hair!

Quote Originally Posted by mat4226 View Post
    Under the Waterfall, Ash Cave
    Hocking Hills, Ohio

Tachihara 8x10 + 150 SSXL
    Ilford HP5+ in Pyrocat HD
    Laurent

David Schaller

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Yes...the infamous Mahoosuc Notch! "Toughest mile on the AT." Have not done this...not sure if we will at this point. But yes...there are many areas less traveled, as you mention, that are worth checking out - especially these days as many of the more popular routes/trailheads have become so very crowded.

Thanks for noticing the boots...we visited Peter Limmer (grandson of P. Limmer Sr., who I'd met back in 1968), at his shop in Intervale, where he measured our feet and created a great pair of boots for each of us. Perfect...and worth the price!

Another story...my very first photo assignment at age 15 - photographing the Dartmouth Winter Outward Bound program, based at the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge, back in 1970 - one of the instructors there was Willi Unsoeld - who had a few years before (1967 I think) pioneered a new route (the "west ridge") up Everest with Dr. Thom Hornbein. On that trip Willi had lost nine of his ten toes to frostbite, and while at the lodge, as he regaled us with one of many great climibing stories...he pulled off his socks and showed us his feet - minus the toes!

At any rate...years later, as Marlene and I were getting measured for our boots...I happened to tell the story of Willi and his feet to Peter Limmer - at which point he quietly retreated to a back room, then reappeared...to then place a curious, vaguely familiar looking lump of plaster into my outstretched hand - a mold of Willi's left foot! Peter's grandfather had created for Willi some custom boots for his very special feet - and suddenly, there was Willi's left foot - looking much as it had all those years ago...in my hand!
    The great thing is that Limmer's hasn't changed. I went there for the first time in 1967, when my uncle was getting boots. Willi Unsoeld's presentation made a big impression on me as well! I was 12. I saw him in Littleton, not at the Ravine Lodge, at an event hosted by Dr. Harry McDade, who was invited on, and consulted for, the West Ridge expedition. The Alpine community was much different in those days.