Page 1532 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 532103214321482152215301531153215331534154215821632 ... LastLast
Results 15,311 to 15,320 of 17143

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Forgive me, I was using image plane and film plane interchangeably. Anyway, like I said I've seen folks think they can't change image shape w/o the use of rear movements so apparently it is sometimes misunderstood, semantics or not.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Sounds good...of course anyone who has used a small or medium format camera for any length of time knows this.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Changing the position of the film plane (same as the plane of the back) relative to the scene will reshape the image of the scene on the GG. This power to change the shape of the image is sometimes called a distortion, but should have no negative connotations. We are manipulating the shape (the geometric properties?) of the scene, not 'distorting' it.
    Yeah, lots of people use the term distortion, when they're really talking about geometric projection.

Projection - rectilinear, fisheye, cylindrical, etc.
    Distortion - barrel, pincushion, mustache, etc. (flaws in the intended projection)

Glad this came to some clarity. Thank you all.

So I guess my ultimate point was, does anyone use rear tilt for creative departure, that is, for other than DOF management? Rear tilt backward from perpendicular film plane with a landscape would elongate, flatten out the view, decreasing the relative size of the distant points (as if with a wider lens), and perhaps with front rise to compensate for the increase in converging diagonals of trees in the distance, for instance. A rear tilt of say 10-15 degrees might be the limit (my guess) where the impact is not too disproportional from norm. Anyone use it intentionally to "distort" the normal view? The Dune image not having any converging issues i.e. trees, it wasn't clear how much rear tilt was used; hence my question.

Yeah...geometric projection - That's what I meant! Jeesh guys!

About to mix me and the missus our Friday evening Manhattan (actually an East River, but close), and put a match to what will soon be a warm crackling fire. We'd truly love to have all of you join us - but seeing as that's not possible...we'll just wish you all the best for a smooth (and safe) slide into the holidays.

Here...from us to you all - Just replace the word "Madison" (our 48th and final NH 4K peak) with "Manhattan," and you'll be good to go!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peak #48! copy 2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	210705

Quote Originally Posted by pdmoylan View Post

So I guess my ultimate point was, does anyone use rear tilt for creative departure, that is, for other than DOF management? Rear tilt backward from perpendicular film plane with a landscape would elongate, flatten out the view, decreasing the relative size of the distant points (as if with a wider lens), and perhaps with front rise to compensate for the increase in converging diagonals of trees in the distance, for instance. A rear tilt of say 10-15 degrees might be the limit (my guess) where the impact is not too disproportional from norm. Anyone use it intentionally to "distort" the normal view? The Dune image not having any converging issues i.e. trees, it wasn't clear how much rear tilt was used; hence my question.
    It sure is sometimes used this way for “visual”/creative purposes, to emphasize near/far relationships and/or manipulate the sense of relative scale of foreground and background objects. Of course, like anything else, often subtle effects are preferred to more exaggerated or obvious ones, but not always. Whatever suits the person making the photograph is fair game. There are no rules.

David Schaller

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Yeah...geometric projection - That's what I meant! Jeesh guys!

About to mix me and the missus our Friday evening Manhattan (actually an East River, but close), and put a match to what will soon be a warm crackling fire. We'd truly love to have all of you join us - but seeing as that's not possible...we'll just wish you all the best for a smooth (and safe) slide into the holidays.

Here...from us to you all - Just replace the word "Madison" (our 48th and final NH 4K peak) with "Manhattan," and you'll be good to go!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peak #48! copy 2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	210705
    That's a nice one to do last, and you had beautiful weather!

Quote Originally Posted by pdmoylan View Post

So I guess my ultimate point was, does anyone use rear tilt for creative departure, that is, for other than DOF management? ...
    It is just another tool in the tool chest and I make a decision to use it or not to use it on most images. But I always check out the relationship of the trees or rocks or whatever along the edges of the image. Having a 5x7 with back tilt only (no front tilt) is challenging, but one looks for and finds images that will work with the equipment one has.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Under the Waterfall, Ash Cave
    Hocking Hills, Ohio

Tachihara 8x10 + 150 SSXL
    Ilford HP5+ in Pyrocat HD

Mat that is totally awsome! Have got to give HP-5 another try sometimes!

So...I have some family (sister and her hubby, niece and hubby w/new baby!) living in Columbus...how far from Hocking Hills?