Page 1530 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 530103014301480152015281529153015311532154015801630 ... LastLast
Results 15,291 to 15,300 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adirondacks View along Route 73 St. Huberts 4x5_00001RPF4521DS_01.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	210654 Nikkor 150MM F5.6W Velvia 50

Name:	Birches Roadside Adirondacks_00001RPF4521DS_01.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	210655 ditto

Adirondacks images, ala Porter. Both along Route 73 NYS

Creation Bear, agree that Porter sought tight comps - something to learn from. His use of Kodachrome and early Ektachrome and Dye Transfer printing techniques can't be matched today. DR was much lower with those early films than today's Portia/Provia. Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by pdmoylan View Post
    His use of Kodachrome and early Ektachrome and Dye Transfer printing techniques can't be matched today
    Ha, my treads are showing a little wear as well--though mostly from a few decades of backcountry fly fishing. Speaking of Porter and printing, here's an interesting video if you've not seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CslJoMRd1es. I've only encountered his work in books (though I understand the fidelity of those were pretty good)--rummaging around that era's C-prints must be a treat indeed.

Otherwise, I very much appreciate you sharing what you've brought back from your encounters--I've done only the most rudimentary color work, but the color palette of the "graybacks" with Velvia has me thinking...

Listen - is this worth calling me out? Are you the police of this forum, is this the biggest problem you have to solve in your life: what category I'm writing under? For God's sake, I'm disgusted with that kind of pettiness. How about if I don't post anymore, and cancel my subscription? Then you can be sure I don't break any more of your important rules. Good?

An example of an image (Dunes, Stovepipe Wells) where, for me..."extreme" back movements were crucial for my interpretation of this scene:

Name:	Dunes, Stovepipe Wells.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	232.7 KB 
ID:	210656

Another example (Yucca Pods, White Sands), but this time...absolutely no movements were used:

Name:	Yucca Pods, White Sands copy.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	210657

Love the dunes image, John! And, yes, a perfect example of where extreme back movements really helps image presentation, IMO (and yours, too, apparently.)

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    An example of an image (Dunes, Stovepipe Wells) where, for me..."extreme" back movements were crucial for my interpretation of this scene:

Name:	Dunes, Stovepipe Wells.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	232.7 KB 
ID:	210656

Another example (Yucca Pods, White Sands), but this time...absolutely no movements were used:

Name:	Yucca Pods, White Sands copy.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	210657
    The dunes image is wonderful, but since I don't know the scene, what movement did you use and for what effect? Who knows, maybe I'll learn something.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrister View Post
    Listen - is this worth calling me out? Are you the police of this forum, is this the biggest problem you have to solve in your life: what category I'm writing under? For God's sake, I'm disgusted with that kind of pettiness. How about if I don't post anymore, and cancel my subscription? Then you can be sure I don't break any more of your important rules. Good?
    Cool your jets. It was a gentle reminder to a new member and while true, it was not a 'calling out'. To keep the LFPF a well-oiled machine, there are rules and procedures that help to keep it so. Thank you for your participation.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by John Olsen View Post
    The dunes image is wonderful, but since I don't know the scene, what movement did you use and for what effect? Who knows, maybe I'll learn something.
    Ditto. I'm guessing forward tilt on the back? That's just a guess, I'd like to know to to be sure.
    --

...backward base tilt on the back (similar to forward front tilt, except for little field displacement vs. front tilt) - pretty much essential as I was using a 90mm lens which is marginal for 5x7 with movements, and needed to preserve what coverage I had available (front tilts move available field relative to film, rear tilts not so much) . The price of course (for this back tilt) is a bit more perspective distortion, but not overtly distracting in this case. Other data...orange filter, PMK Pyro. Light was fading so fast that I was only able to obtain one image...glad it worked! Actually, there is a bit of blur in the extreme upper left (had to work quickly, also exhausted from having sprinted two miles with gear to get here in time)...unfortunate as this has, so far, limited me to printing this to 30x40 - whereas if it were sharp overall, I'd love to go to 40x60! Will likely do this (40x60) anyway...just because!

Gotta admit that my previous post was a bit political...in defense of staying true to ourselves and not ascribing to others generalizations. Just sayin!

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    ...backward base tilt on the back (similar to forward front tilt, except for little field displacement vs. front tilt) - pretty much essential as I was using a 90mm lens which is marginal for 5x7 with movements, and needed to preserve what coverage I had available (front tilts move available field relative to film, rear tilts not so much) . The price of course (for this back tilt) is a bit more perspective distortion, but not overtly distracting in this case. Other data...orange filter, PMK Pyro. Light was fading so fast that I was only able to obtain one image...glad it worked! Actually, there is a bit of blur in the extreme upper left (had to work quickly, also exhausted from having sprinted two miles with gear to get here in time)...unfortunate as this has, so far, limited me to printing this to 30x40 - whereas if it were sharp overall, I'd love to go to 40x60! Will likely do this (40x60) anyway...just because!

Gotta admit that my previous post was a bit political...in defense of staying true to ourselves and not ascribing to others generalizations. Just sayin!
    Thanks for sharing your thought process. Every bit helps me get my best results out in the field.