Page 1646 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 64611461546159616361644164516461647164816561696 ... LastLast
Results 16,451 to 16,460 of 17145

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

I think the "some people" you are referring to are largely "in-laws".

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I've mainly had the opposite experience where people don't want to walk in front of my camera -- not realizing that: #1 - I've already taken the picture or #2 - It's going to take me at least 15 minutes to set everything up. So I have to assure them that "Everything is OK!".
    And me too.

And the more pictures I take the less I am stressed about "lost opportunities" due to someone walking into "my" scene. What works : avoiding places where everyone else goes or going there during the times when not many come (early mornings and off-seasons are the best still)

Nice image Vaughn.

To be fair, I generally don't have issues with folks coming into my shot. At worst, folks are in the shot while I set up, and I expect they'll be leaving soon, so I wait till this happens. This was a bit more...deliberate, it seemed, but it is what it is. I almost walked over and asked them to move slightly behind a tufa for a few minutes but didn't.

Anyway, I also shot this sheet, whilst specifically avoiding the area they were using (that's the thing - I was at least trying to stay out of their family photo shoot!). Same setup.

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Great, Bryan!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Simply lovely Vaughn.

Martin

Thanks, Martin -- my first negative has the fall centered -- but fortunately I did not stop there.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Thanks, Martin -- my first negative has the fall centered -- but fortunately I did not stop there.
    My wife and I listened to an interesting podcast recently, about being able to see other peoples' points of view. They featured a first grade teacher who had his students draw a picture of their home. He then asked them to draw three more, all different, to try to get them to look at things differently. I was thinking "I need to do that when I photograph!"

After that, he had the students constructively critique each others' drawings as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Nice image Vaughn.

To be fair, I generally don't have issues with folks coming into my shot. At worst, folks are in the shot while I set up, and I expect they'll be leaving soon, so I wait till this happens. This was a bit more...deliberate, it seemed, but it is what it is. I almost walked over and asked them to move slightly behind a tufa for a few minutes but didn't.

Anyway, I also shot this sheet, whilst specifically avoiding the area they were using (that's the thing - I was at least trying to stay out of their family photo shoot!). Same setup.

Is the sky so blue because of no center filter or a polarizer? Nice shot.

Thanks Alan. I probably used a pol here. The sun was set but the sky in the upper right is still illuminated I guess (civil twilight) making it brighter. If on b&w film I could probably burn it down. On a print of this I might consider dodging the darker blue sky a bit.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    My wife and I listened to an interesting podcast recently, about being able to see other peoples' points of view. They featured a first grade teacher who had his students draw a picture of their home. He then asked them to draw three more, all different, to try to get them to look at things differently. I was thinking "I need to do that when I photograph!"

After that, he had the students constructively critique each others' drawings as well.
    FWIW, I have over the last couple of years changed my approach to landscape photography.

I have stopped just taking one photograph of a subject but to approach it more like a portrait session - spend a lot longer taking many more shots of a single chosen subject from different perspectives and different compositions using different lenses as necessary.

It means I end up with a range of shots of the subject to choose from.

YMMV

Martin