Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobo CPE2 and E6

Jobo CPE2 and E6

I've agreed to purchase the following gear:

Jobo CPE2 drum processor
    Jobo Drum 4540 takes prints up to 30x40cm (12x16 inches)
    Jobo Ro-Tank Professional 4321 35mm reel

My question is: what else do I need in order to process 120 roll film and 4x5 sheets? I would like to use the processor for both E6 and Infrared film processing, so any other 'must have' bits and pieces advice would be appreciated.

I'm a total film development neophyte, I'm afraid.

Thanks,
    Peter

Re: Jobo CPE2 and E6

Most of the reels are adjustable to accommodate either 35mm or 120/220 film.

The film drums are a little different than the print drums on the inside and you need one of the black plastic tubes that fits in the center of the film reel to keep it from spinning when the drum rotates.

You don't mention if you have the lift accessory. While not essential, it makes life much easier changing chemicals.

The film reels are either 1500 series or 2500 series. The latter are newer and nicer I think.

For sheet film, you can't use the 3000 series "Expert" drums on the CPE. They are too big. You need the 4x5 film reels. I have never used those. some say they are tricky to load and Jobo makes an accessory to aid in the loading process. They seem to fetch a fair price on Ebay so they must be popular.

If you want to process 4x5" film you need a 2500 series drum, for which you of course can get some reels to process 120 and 35mm film as well. The 1500 series needs slightly less minimum volumes of chemistry, but you cannot process 4x5 in those drums.
    If you do a search for e.g. "Sheet film jobo" here and on apug.org you will find lots of info on how to load and use the sheet film reels. I use them from time to time and it just takes practice and patience.
    As you point out that you are a beginner, don't start with sheet film. Learn how to load a roll of 35mm film first and then learn how to use the processor, preferably with black&white film first. Then do this many many times... I.e. see to that you progress in small steps and enjoy the experience.
    It is very easy to get caught in technicalities, so try to avoid getting confused by too many unknown factors before you have the basics set. What I'm trying to say is that if you start with trying to process E6, it's very easy to fail or at least get a poor result, as that process needs to be very precise in all aspects. If something goes wrong it might be very hard to backtrack your processing to find the source of the problem, when you are still learning about how to operate the machine.

//Björn

Thanks for the responses, folks. I'll follow that advice.

Cheers,
    Peter

I don't recognise your model numbers, but if your print drum has a short bottom section you can assemble a drum suitable for 4x5 processing by combining the lid and bottom section of your print drum with the light trap and centre rod of the film processing tank. The light traps click into place with a bayonet fitting and are designed to be swapped about. All you need to buy is a reel for 4x5 sheet film.

120 you should be able to do with your existing film tank and reel. The reels have an adjustable centre which expands to accomodate 35 mm or 120 film.

If you are doing 6-bath E6 you will need all your graduates for chemicals, with none left over for wash water or rinses. A separate tempering bath with a jug of plain water can save a lot of heartache - you don't need it to be actively controlled, just run hot and/or cold water in as needed.

If you are going to be doing a lot of processing, a second tank/reel setup is useful so you can process in one while the other is drying.

Quote Originally Posted by petercox View Post
    I've agreed to purchase the following gear:

Jobo CPE2 drum processor
    Jobo Drum 4540 takes prints up to 30x40cm (12x16 inches)
    Jobo Ro-Tank Professional 4321 35mm reel

My question is: what else do I need in order to process 120 roll film and 4x5 sheets? I would like to use the processor for both E6 and Infrared film processing, so any other 'must have' bits and pieces advice would be appreciated.

I'm a total film development neophyte, I'm afraid.

Thanks,
    Peter
    Hi Peter,
    I have the same problem here I ordered a CPE2 Drum, then wanted to develop the 4x5 $lides with it.
    What is important to know is that Jobo now makes a wide variety of drums of which not al work that well.
    I first ordered the 2520 tank with a 2509n wheel. THIS TANK DOESN'T FIT FOR THE JOBO CPE(2) system.
    So, the best is to look carefully on the Jobo website what tank you need for the 4x5 development. Then find a supplier which still provides tanks with magnets.

But maybe in your case there is a more budget solution. Maybe the 4321 tank takes 4x5 reels. That question is mostly given by the discription on the tank itself.

I recently ordered a 4322 tank from jobo that should be able to take up to 9x12cm film sheets. Will tell you more when the tanks arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by cvansas View Post
    I first ordered the 2520 tank with a 2509n wheel. THIS TANK DOESN'T FIT FOR THE JOBO CPE(2) system.
    As a matter of fact it does. You'll need a Lift cog lid to make it work with any Lift-equipped processor, or a base magnet to make it work with a lift-less processor. Both are accessories, ever since Jobo weeded out their catalogue all tanks are the basic inversion models and the processor couplers have to be purchased separately. Prior to that dealers had to stock all three (inversion, magnet, cog) versions of each tank size - impracticable in a shrinking market.

Quote Originally Posted by cvansas View Post
    I recently ordered a 4322 tank from jobo that should be able to take up to 9x12cm film sheets. Will tell you more when the tanks arrived.
    The 4xxx series is the earlier (70's to late 80's) series equivalent of the current 25xx series - screw lid, base magnet, cannot be used with lifts. If you have a base magnet processor, it will still work - but so would the more modern 2520 if you had ordered the accessory magnet...

Andrew "The RedSun"

The 4xxx series are not popular any more. I would not even want to touch them, unless you get them at very good prices.

well.. 2523 works fine with CPE2 for 4x5 sheets.
    And 45xx that i use for 8x10.

After some further testing:
    - The 2520 tank works on a Jobo CPE2 system when the tank holder is removed in order to let the tank fit inside the slightly smaller processor. I'm curious if the same is the case with the 2521/23 tanks.
    - The 4xxx series are not popular anymore because of their limited stock and their higher prescribed usage. But in fact these tanks have the same volume compared to the 2500 series of tanks and I had succesful developments when using 3/4 of the chemicals as written on my 4xxx tanks. I bought 2 of these tanks for 7 euro each which is quite a bargain compared to any of the 2500 series tanks.
    - Note that the 4322 and 23 tank have different radius as the 2500 tank series and that modern 2509n 4x5 sheet holders do not fit inside!