Thread: Horseman 45FA Recessed Lens Board

Horseman 45FA Recessed Lens Board

Does a Recessed Lens board exist for the 45FA or 45HD ??? I don't see how it can be possible as even a Copal 0 shutter cannot fit through the hole on the front standard... I heard somewhere that someone modified the dials\controls on the shutter (Copal 0) by extending the controls out further, in such a way that they were not in the way of the inside part of a recessed lens board. Then somehow made up a recessed 80x80 lens board. Has anyone heard of this ???

Re: Horseman 45FA Recessed Lens Board

Not that I'm aware of. I only know of flat or extended 80x80mm lensboards for the FA or HD. And you can find these at B&H (list) or on eBay (someone in Shanghai offers a lensboard set, which I've wondered if anyone has done business with him to know if he and his products are good.

I know even with the flat or short extension, some lens/shutter controls are hard enough.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Horsemans 65mm is mounted on a recessed board ( about 1/2" deep ) but it`s of pretty limited use.

I was inspecting my 45FA & found a way to modify it by removing a small screw, which allows me to bring the front standard about an extra inch closer to the rear standard without having to slide the front standard onto the small 1" rail used when the camera is folded.

PS, Is there any known way to test if a lens has the correct aperture\iris scale on the shutter for that specific lens ?... I think i may have been partially scammed through ebay, I won an auction some time ago for a Super Angulon 65mm f5.6 lens & when i set it to f5.6 according to the iris scale, i cannot see the iris through the lens (which i suspect is normal at f5.6)... But when i stop it down to f8 there is still no visibility of the iris blades while looking through the lens. I can only visibly start to see the iris when i go down to half way between f8 & f11. Is this normal ??

Quote Originally Posted by rupal View Post
    PS, Is there any known way to test if a lens has the correct aperture\iris scale on the shutter for that specific lens ?... I think i may have been partially scammed through ebay, I won an auction some time ago for a Super Angulon 65mm f5.6 lens & when i set it to f5.6 according to the iris scale, i cannot see the iris through the lens (which i suspect is normal at f5.6)... But when i stop it down to f8 there is still no visibility of the iris blades while looking through the lens. I can only visibly start to see the iris when i go down to half way between f8 & f11. Is this normal ??
    There are a number of threads on this topic. Search under "aperture scale" In a nutshell, measure how big the iris looks from the front and use that to calculate the F number based on the lenses focal length.

Quote Originally Posted by rupal View Post
    Does a Recessed Lens board exist for the 45FA or 45HD ??? I don't see how it can be possible as even a Copal 0 shutter cannot fit through the hole on the front standard... I heard somewhere that someone modified the dials\controls on the shutter (Copal 0) by extending the controls out further, in such a way that they were not in the way of the inside part of a recessed lens board. Then somehow made up a recessed 80x80 lens board. Has anyone heard of this ???
    I never saw one in any Horseman catalog, however, a few years ago someone used to custom make them. As pointed out some of the later model 6x9 lenses came in recessed boards.

There is some info on these recessed boards on the first post in this thread:

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/001iqt