Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ball head and plate for my Deardroff 8x10 and Kodak 2D 8x10

Ball head and plate for my Deardroff 8x10 and Kodak 2D 8x10

As a newbie to 8x10, this forum has helped me a lot to research and information and many thanks.

I would like to seek advice on a head for my two camera just got last few months. I have used Acratech Ultimate Ballhead with Quick Release but the camera simply move by itself unless the camera is absolutely right on top ball head.

Coming from dSLR, I tried RRS site. I am thinking about the BH-55 with B2 AS II clamp (with to me is a new design; all my ball head seems to like their B2-Pro II clamp plate. Also, I follow the RRS advice for Wooden Camera plates and the site said B35: Flat Plate with 2 1/4"-20 screws. 2 screws? I talked to RRS by email but surprisingly when I asked why 2 screws, at least the lady has no idea (even I have mentioned my wooden camera Deardroff). I lost a bit confidence as obviously these days shops sold items for dSLR not Wooden Camera.

Hence, may I ask for advice once again in this forum:

a) Is my choice of BH-55 with B2 AS II clamp and B35: Flat Plate with 2 1/4"-20 screws right and do you have any experience of this combination or similar combination?

b) Is there any better or more suitable options for my cameras?

BTW, I found that if there is no strong wind, having a light tripod seems to be ok (as long as have some weight on the hook). I used Kenro (Gitzo 1 copy) and Gitzo 2 legs (also from my dSLR purchase). Any comment on this part as I was told you need at least Gitzo 3 series or above.

Thanks in advance for any advice and Merry X'mas.

Re: Ball head and plate for my Deardroff 8x10 and Kodak 2D 8x10

A light tripod will cause unsharpness even with no wind. There will be microscopic shifting during a long exposure. I found out the hard way. Had a Bogen 3055 head with the hex plate and a Bogen tripod that I used with the 4x5. I never got anything sharp until I swapped to a massive bogen with the 3 way pan tilt etc head with the hex plate, it had struts between the legs to stabilize it and the pictures immediately got sharper. I wouldn't recommend a ball head of any kind for such heavy cameras, adjusting is too awkward with all angles slipping at once when you loosen the ballhead to try to make an adjustment.

I have occasionally put a light 4" X 5" on top of a ballhead, but the idea of using one foir an 8" X 10" seems like self-torture.

I agree with Gary that a ball head just isn't very practical for the two cameras you have (I've owned both), you need a pan/tilt type head. With the weight of your two cameras it's virtually impossible to make an adjustment in one direction only when using a ball head.

But I disagree about the light tripod part of Gary's message, though it might just be a matter of how "light" is "light." But I've always used a tripod that's much lighter than the tripod's rated capacity and have never had any problems with "sharpness." For example, my Feisol tripod and RRS heads are rated for 35mm and digital cameras but they worked fine with a 4 lb 4x5 camera. I used two tripods and heads with my Deardorff and Kodak 2D. One was a Gitzo aluminum tripod that was rated as a medium format tripod, with a Bogen 3047 head. The other was more along the lines Gary is suggesting, a Bogen 3057 head and a Bogen tripod with struts the model number of which I don't remember. I used the latter only when I wasn't going to be doing much walking. But I do not believe you need a "massive" tripod for 8x10 (depending, of course, of what one considers "massive"), you're correct that a light tripod can work fine as long as there's no wind (again, depending on what one considers "light").
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Many thanks. May I ask more - is there any suggestion of what pan/tilt type head for the two camera I have? Do they need to use quick release plate as well?

www.reallybigcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Purdum View Post
    I have occasionally put a light 4" X 5" on top of a ballhead, but the idea of using one foir an 8" X 10" seems like self-torture.
    Of course, it's a matter of personal preference and shooting style, but I personally find carrying a big, heavy 3-axis head with long levers that constantly get hung up on trail side vegetation to be a much more serious form of self-torture than using a ballhead with a large format camera.

Using a ballhead with a big heavy camera is certainly doable and can be a downright pleasurable experience. Of course, you need the right ballhead and the right technique. The first thing you need is a quality ballhead of proper size with an adjustable tension preset control. With the the tension control set to match the weight of the camera, you can grab the back of the camera with both hands, and while viewing the ground glass, point it where you want it, release the camera, which will stay in place if the tension preset is adjusted properly, and tighten the ball locking knob so the camera position won't be disturbed when inserting the film holder.

This is exactly how I use my 7x17 camera with a ballhead. And while I have a couple really nice, big sturdy 3-axis heads, I find I prefer the ballhead for the compact size and lighter weight. The notion of camera flopping around all over the place when using a ballhead comes from either a poor quality, undersized ballhead without a proper tension preset control, or from poor technique.

Ballheads aren't for everyone, but they do offer the best combination of strength vs. weight of any type of head, and that makes them very appealing for anyone who has to carry their gear on their back for any appreciable distance.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Many thanks Kerry for the advice.

If ballhead can do the job, I prefer ballhead -- I used it for 4x5 and it is ok. Any advice what is the ballhead I shall aim at.

My limited exposure to ballhead is only from two shops Acratech and RRS. Is the one I mentioned above has the pre-tension feature you think it is important.

www.reallybigcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by dng88 View Post
    Many thanks Kerry for the advice.

If ballhead can do the job, I prefer ballhead -- I used it for 4x5 and it is ok. Any advice what is the ballhead I shall aim at.

My limited exposure to ballhead is only from two shops Acratech and RRS. Is the one I mentioned above has the pre-tension feature you think it is important.
    I won't make any specific recommendations - due to an obvious conflict of interest (I sell two brands of ballheads), but any top quality ballhead of sufficient size with a tension preset should do the job.

If you want to continue this discussion by PM or email, that's fine, but I don't want to abuse the discussion forum by mentioning/recommending the products I sell here.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

I use a ball head (arca swiss which I don't recommend) as my only head for medium format up to my 8x10. It's not ideal for view camera work as a geared head is but it's lighter and works fine for me. I had a bogen 3275 or 410 geared head and it got loose and wouldn't hold my pentax 67II steady.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I use ball heads for everything (from 35mm to 12x16"), but never quick release plates. I have always had too many cameras to keep a quick release plate mounted on each, and without that it serves no purpose.

Since LF photography is a slow process anyway, I don't feel the few seconds it takes to mount a camera without a QR plate makes a useful difference.