Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading The Jobo

Loading The Jobo

Ok, thanks to a kind member here, I have film with which to practice my developer loading. So far, not so great.
    I've got a jobo 4x5 reel and that dang thing is hard to load blind! Perhaps the worst part is getting the little black plastic retainer things on after the film is in...and getting the film in is no picnic.

I need lots more practice, unless there is some miracle method I'm missing????

BTW, my kids think I'm nuts...sitting on the sofa, playing with bits and pieces with my eyes closed...cussing under my breath.

Re: Loading The Jobo

time is money- save yourself some and get a 3010 expert drum (if your processor can handle it) You wont even need to practice with one of them to learn loading. As for the current system you have, there isnt any magic I can remember other than practice makes perfect and if you are in a rush it just isnt going to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by eric black View Post
    time is money- save yourself some and get a 3010 expert drum (if your processor can handle it) You wont even need to practice with one of them to learn loading. As for the current system you have, there isnt any magic I can remember other than practice makes perfect and if you are in a rush it just isnt going to happen!
    Oh sure...tell me the truth....
    That's what I thought. Well, an expert system will have to wait till after I have a lens or two.
    I'll just keep practicing.

The clips have a notch which mates with a corresponding "pin" on the reel. This is in the middle of the clip and in the middle of the gap between the ends of the negatives when the reel is loaded. You can feel the pin in the dark and so locate where to snap on the clips. Load a reel up in the light and you will see what I mean - as with many things, it's easier to do than describe...

I also place my thumb and middle finger on the slots where the negatives slide in - that way I can feel the film as I slide it in to make sure it is going in the correct slot. Wash hands before loading film to ensure no grease on the negs.

I notched the edge on one side of the reel as I then know which side I loaded first to help keep track of the negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobf View Post
    The clips have a notch which mates with a corresponding "pin" on the reel. This is in the middle of the clip and in the middle of the gap between the ends of the negatives when the reel is loaded. You can feel the pin in the dark and so locate where to snap on the clips. Load a reel up in the light and you will see what I mean - as with many things, it's easier to do than describe...

I also place my thumb and middle finger on the slots where the negatives slide in - that way I can feel the film as I slide it in to make sure it is going in the correct slot. Wash hands before loading film to ensure no grease on the negs.

I notched the edge on one side of the reel as I then know which side I loaded first to help keep track of the negatives.
    That's pretty much what I'm doing. I'm just finding lots of opportunities for things to not go in quite right. I'll keep plugging.

Or you could watch here and ebay for a decent price on the Jobo reel loader thingie. I have one. It seems to help. I also have a 3010 tank so I don't load my one 2509 reel very often.

YMMV.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    Or you could watch here and ebay for a decent price on the Jobo reel loader thingie. I have one. It seems to help. I also have a 3010 tank so I don't load my one 2509 reel very often.

YMMV.
    I will look out for one of those guides. They often come with a reel and I could use a second reel.

Ya - I still manage to start to load a neg in the same slot as the previous one from time to time (once in every two reels perhaps) but you get to feel that something is wrong and back out and try again. I feel along the ends of the loaded negatives to feel that the gap between them is even and that they are all the way in the slot. The clips are easy once you get to feel that pin tho - they never give me grief now.

Quote Originally Posted by dazedgonebye View Post
    Oh sure...tell me the truth....
    That's what I thought. Well, an expert system will have to wait till after I have a lens or two.
    I'll just keep practicing.
    Well, if unhelpful advise is welcome, search for a thread on the use of Nightvision systems in the darkroom and read how many of our colleagues have installed infrared illuminators.

Not me, I invested (a little less) in a Jobo Expert drum.

Actually the clips are really easy once you get the "hang" of it. It takes some practice. Keep at it.

Loading is a little finicky. Take it slow (there is no timer) and be thorough. Load the inner ones first, and move out. After you load each, feel across the end of the sheet to make sure they are separated all they way across. Do this at both ends. With some practice you will be reasonably efficient. Develop habits like always setting the reel down in the same place and the same way; repeatability is key when you can't see.