Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plasticca...

Plasticca...

hi all

I have to try to beat Jim on this one, while it is possible..

One of my favourite lenses is the Oscar Zverzina "Plasticca" "Kunst objektiv" (Art lens)

I got it purely by chance, and I am loving it.

Almost like a HUGE diana lens..

it covers 8x10, but I loke it best at 13x18, where the distortion isnt actually ruining the images.

Looking at the net, there is not too much information, and I get mails from people that also want that lens, so they ask me.....

I know that a similar lens is on its way to Jim, as we speak, but have others in here any experience with this lens?

(a VERY bad image of the lens here: http://www.emilschildt.com/EGO-%20ob...0plasticca.htm )

Re: Plasticca...

Looks like it's you and me Emil.

Nobody else on earth using a Plasticca?? Mine is floating across the ocean. It may be a while yet. I'm thinking I should maybe convert that funky old camera it comes with for wet plates. Good to have you here.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Why not just attach the bottom of a sawed-off Coke bottle to a lensboard and use it as a lens. Won't it give you similar results?
    Brian Vuillemenot

Real nice work Emil!
    I like that Plasticca...
    Got similar results with a Fuji 250mm SF in bright sun wide open with no disc on 12x20...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vuillemenot View Post
    Why not just attach the bottom of a sawed-off Coke bottle to a lensboard and use it as a lens. Won't it give you similar results?
    Not expensive enough, Brian. We're supposed to suffer, and in all ways possible, for our art.

The bottom of a bottle that held expensive old wine is better than the bottom of a Coke bottle. Old wine, if not turned to vinegar, has more snob appeal too.

Cheers,

Dan

Is this similar to the Ilex Photoplastic lens? I purchased one in the extreme soft focus configuration a couple of months ago. Extreme soft even stopped down with beautiful halating highlights. Lovely lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Not expensive enough, Brian. We're supposed to suffer, and in all ways possible, for our art.

The bottom of a bottle that held expensive old wine is better than the bottom of a Coke bottle. Old wine, if not turned to vinegar, has more snob appeal too.

Cheers,

Dan
    well - I didn't suffer at all....

this lens in a working compound shutter for about 300$ is fine by me...

(but then again, I have bought a Diana camera for 100$... )

The Plasticca lens is - to me - a truely unique type of lens, and being just that, makes the price ok - especially because I actually use it!

I have enough lenses that doesn't get much used (yet)..

I might just be an ignorant Dane - not understanding the suttlelty of the english language, but I can't understand where the "snob appeal" comes from....

Thomas Cooke supposedly made his first objective from the bottom of a tumbler or beer glass, so there is a good precedent :-)

Gandolfi, rumor has it that people who drink old premier cru wines from known good vintages look down on people who drink Coca Cola. Me, I'm too short to look down on anyone unless I climb a ladder.

All kidding aside, I'm glad that you like, can, and will use your Plasticca.

Cheers,

Dan

image from my garden, with Sudek in my mind.....