Thread: 6x17 lens fall off

6x17 lens fall off

How do I rectify lens fall off for a 6x17 90mm wide angle lens? Do I use a centi grade filter?

Thanks,

Peter woodelf@ozemail.com.au

6x17 lens fall off

Pete, I shoot a lot of 6x17, and have switched from a 90mm to a 135mm lens for the ver y reason that you are asking about. You can use a center graduated filter with a 90mm, this will help a lot, but it won't eliminate the problem. You are askin g the 90mm lens to cover about 2 inches more than it was designed to optimally c over, movements not withstanding. The sweep of the sky in a landscape image can easily shift one to three stops depending on the postion of the sun relative to your composition. I also opted for the 135mm lens, because I found that the cos t of the filter was more than the cost of a decent used lens. If you go the fil ter route, be prepared to pay about $500.00 for a new filter, or $250.00 for a u sed one. Make sure that you get the filter matched for your 90mm lens; differen t manufacturer's lens's have different fall off paterns!

Good Luck,

Britt Leckman George Mason University

6x17 lens fall off

I have very successfully used the Heliopan ND .45 filter with my 90mm Caltar II f/4.5 (which I believe to be really the equivalent Grandagon) for about two year s now. I am shooting with the V-Pan mk.III so I am able to use front rise when n ecessary. Try Lens & Repro for the filter, much better price than Calumet.