Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (light weight) Lensboard for Shen-Hao

(light weight) Lensboard for Shen-Hao

Hi,

I am now owner of my very first piece of large format gear, a Nikkor 75mm f/4.5 SW. My plan is to buy a Shen-Hao TFC-45IIB.

Are there lens boards that are lighter weight than others, in order to save on weight in my bag, and which fit the Shen-Hao?

Thanks!

Anders

Re: (light weight) Lensboard for Shen-Hao

Unless somebody makes a plastic board I can't imagine there would be a great deal of difference between them.

You would save more weight with a lighter camera. Also, the 75mm lens would not be my choice for a first large format lens -- a 210 would be my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Wolfe View Post
    You would save more weight with a lighter camera. Also, the 75mm lens would not be my choice for a first large format lens -- a 210 would be my first choice.
    Vision is individual, if I could have one lens for 4x5 it is a 75mm, I like wides for landscapes

I think I found the answer: lensboard made of wood...

Anders

There is probably a very slight gain in weight going from the generic to the Linholf lensboards, I do not have any way of measuring such small differences. For some reason the generics fit my Shen Hao easier than the Linholf ones, most likely due to a slight increase in thickness in the "better" boards. In my camera bag I cannot feel the difference if I take out my smallest lens mounted on a lensboard so I would be very surprised if you would tell any difference in just the lensboard itself.

I have the shen hao tfc45 and use the generic shen hao lensboards. Be sure to check for light leaks with this combo - especially on the bottom of the lensboard where the triangle is notched out. I really like the camera.

Chamonix offers a Linhof style board made of Carbon Fiber.
    Given the weight of your Camera, Lens, Film Holders and other gear you'll probably haul around I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between the metal, wood, or carbon fiber boards. I suggest you save your money and get one of the generic ones.
    You might want to check around and see if you'll need a recessed board for your 75.

If you still want the Carbon Fiber board check out http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/

Len Eselson

The camera probably weighs in excess of 2.5 Kg. The lens probably comes in around 500 grams. A standard, generic technika style lens board made of aluminum maybe weighs 100g......so....the lens board is something like 3% of the total weight of the camera. Add a bag, some film holders, a dark cloth a note book, light meter and a hand ful of filters...really, the weight of the lens board becomes very insignificant.

As a wise man once said,

We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: premature optimization is the root of all evil. --- Donald Knuth

BTW: Shen Hoa make very nice linhof-style lens boards.

I've got a technika so it's the same boards... the original linhof boards are very light, some of the other makes are a little lighter or heavier but I'd challenge anyone to tell the difference when there's a lens fitted!

the lens board isn't the mass equivalent of a "rate limiting step" so if weight was your primary concern I'd rethink the camera to a lighter unit before I'd worry about the boards because you could potentially save the equivalent of a light-weight lens

bottom line, even if you're concerned with weight I'd just go an aluminium board

Several of my technika sized lens boards are plastic. I never thought that they may be lighter when I made them. Just drill a bigger hole! I'd sell you some if I had more lying around.