Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiltall or Benro + Manfrotto head for Speed Graphic

Tiltall or Benro + Manfrotto head for Speed Graphic

I am on the hunt for a tripod for my Speed Graphic. And I'm down to two choices:

1) Benro A-257 with a Manfrotto 115 3D Junior head. The max load on the legs is 8kg and on the head it's 5kg. I dont know if I can trust Benro. I've read that they feel solid and stabile, but I've also read about them falling apart fairly quickly. I could get both the tripod and the head locally, and combined they cost slightly less than the Tiltall.

2) Tiltall tripod from Freestyle. Apparently built like a tank, and will last a lifetime.
    Whats the max load on these things? Would have to wait a few weeks for it to arrive, and with the holidays coming up, it might not arrive until January. One downside is that it wont go lower than about 70cm, but I'm not sure if I even need to go lower than that.
    Hows the head on the Tiltall's?

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Matis

Re: Tiltall or Benro + Manfrotto head for Speed Graphic

I have a Tiltall and am very pleased with it.

There are two things that have always bothered me about Benbo. One is the fundamental design that makes it possible to loosen all three legs with one ratchet. That may lead to operational speed in some instances, but it raises some concerns for me about safety.

The other concern is that the taper of Benbo legs is opposite that of other tripod designs - the largest diameter segment is at the bottom, and the legs taper toward the top. The problem with this is that if you are working in water, that bottom leg will become a reservoir that will trap and hold water.

Thanks for the information on Benbo, but I meant Benro, which is a Chinese copy of Gitzo.

Can the Tiltall's handles/knobs be folded against the legs for compactness?

Giottos makes several tripods that will easily support your camera and they have a 5 year warranty.

The Tiltall handles do not fold to parallel to the legs. the side tilt can easily be pointed straight up and it is very short. The tilt handle goes down to maybe 45 degrees from the folded legs. I have considered using a shorter handle for the tilt as the two are interchangeable. You can buy parts from http://www.plumeltd.com/tiltall.htm as well as other custom stuff. I have had good luck with them in the past.

I used a Tiltall / Star D for years hanging a Sinar on it. Currently I'm using a Gitzo Carbon fiber on a field camera.

I am a great advocate of the TILTALL tripod. It is the best combination of cost, weight, and reliability that has ever been made.
    Nobody ever said that they're perfect, but everyone shooting 4x5 should have one in their closet.
    HOWEVER, do NOT buy one of the new Chinese-made ones (the quality is just not the same). Check ebay for used ones made by E. Leitz. Should be available for well under $100, and the damn things last forever!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I am a great advocate of the TILTALL tripod. It is the best combination of cost, weight, and reliability that has ever been made.
    Nobody ever said that they're perfect, but everyone shooting 4x5 should have one in their closet.
    HOWEVER, do NOT buy one of the new Chinese-made ones (the quality is just not the same). Check ebay for used ones made by E. Leitz. Should be available for well under $100, and the damn things last forever!
    I agree! If you want a Tilt-all, get an old one, avoid the new ones. Avoid those metal Tilt-all 4x5 film holders too.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Im considering a Marchioni Tiltall right now. Are the Star-d ones the Chinese ones?

The original Tiltall was made in New Jersey by the Marchioni brothers (I have one). They sold out to Leitz in the 70s(?). At some point Leitz stopped manufacturing them, and at some point after that, the Chinese ones appeared (haven't seen one of these). The Star-D has always been a cheap knock-off; I had one and broke it in the early '80s, when I didn't think I could afford a real Tiltall. Look on the Plume Wafer lighting site for the full history.

It seems I am the proud owner of a Marchioni Tiltall now. Just got one on ebay
    Thanks guys!