Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 150mm Lens Question...

Question 150mm Lens Question...

Hey Guys,

I'm currently tag teaming between my Fuji 210 (I think it's the "L" not the W...) and an old 50's Kodak 127mm Ektar. I'd really like to get a good solid multi-coated 150mm... Any recommendations? I'd like to sell or trade the fuji I think... I shoot primarily environmental portraits and like to use a "normal" lens. So I'd appreciate any feedback, I hope I've provided enough information, let me know if you need more info to correctly assess the lens I'd get the most use from.

-a

Re: 150mm Lens Question...

Schneider Symmar
    Rodenstock Sironar
    Fujinon-w or CM-W
    Nikon Nikkor-W

These are the best (for the money). They're all pretty much equal in performance. Try to find one in a modern all black copal shutter that is in excellent condition.

They're selling so cheap right now, there is really no excuse to hold off.

BTW: Both of the lenses youhave, if in good condition are superb performers. The Ektar in particular is one of my absolute favorites...just don't care much for the Supermatic shutter that they always seem to come in.

Good luck.

210mm isn't really much different then a normal lens. Think of it like using a 50mm on 35mm film instead of a 43mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    210mm isn't really much different then a normal lens. Think of it like using a 50mm on 35mm film instead of a 43mm.
    I've actually found a fairly significant difference when in the field. Not to be argumentative just know what I need.

A Caltar IIN 150mm/f5.6 would be solid performer and the most bang for your bucks -- it is a Rodenstock APO-Sironar-N re-named and sold by Calumet. (as per this article here at this forum http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-primer/ )

Vaughn

I own a Schneider Apo-symmar 150 which is a beauty. It's multi-coated, and in a Prontor pro, which is like a lot.

I'd buy based on price and condition, but with a budget of $2-300 you should be able to find a nice 15 year old multi-coated big brand lens in a nice shutter. I like the later mechanical (not electronic) Compur shutters and don't be afraid to watch the German eBay listings, they often have great deals. The Copals may have a faster shutter speed, which may be useful. The Prontors top out at 1/125 which might be a problem if you like to shoot wide open.

The older Linhof selected 150/4.5 Xenars are very nice as well, and their older shutters have circular apertures which will give you nicer bokeh in backlit situations. About $200.

You can save up for a Schneider 150/2.8 Xenotar but they don't have much image circle for movements and sell for around a grand.

For around $450 you can get a Rodenstock Sironar-S (or the Schneider equivalent) in 150mm, which is probably the very best and latest. But the performance difference will likely be impossible to see unless you use extreme movements or have a higher end work flow (big drum scans and large prints.)

The Schneider Symmar-S was also sold by Calumet as the Caltar-S II, and the Rodenstock Sironar-N as the Caltar II-N. The Caltar lenses are identical to the original manufacturer's branded versions, but can often be found less expensively on the used market. Check the stated coverage of the Nikkor -- I think it's a bit less than the Schneider, Rodenstock or Fujinon.

The Kodak 150mm Ektar is a great lens, and with only 6 air/glass surfaces doesn't need multi-coating.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

There are definitely numerous, excellent, and affordable 150mm lenses out there.

One thing to keep in mind may be the filter size of the lens. The Rodenstock apo sironar(which I own) and Caltar equivalent take 49mm filters, the Nikon 150mm takes 52 mm filters.