Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: szabad 5x7 camera

multiplex

szabad 5x7 camera

i have a szabad camera, and was wondering if anyone else had ever heard of this camera? ... is there a good way to make a "stop" so normal 5x7 film holders will regester at the right spot? the film holders have to go in about 1/4" or so beyond where the film holder would normally want to stop, until the film opening is lined-up and it is sort of a pain .. . if it were the other way around and i had to put it in "less" i know i could put some small round screws as a "block" ... but i am at a loss to figure out the best way to remedy my situation ... does anyone know how to determine the age of one of these cameras? i read somewhere that they were only made between 1943 and 1962 and they were used by lots and lots of swedish commercial and portrait photographers ... thanks in advance! - john

Between here and there

szabad 5x7 camera

Hi John!

The Szabad camera was built by a hungarian who immigrated to Sweden. I know very little about him but I think that he was an engineer. The cameras he made were done for the european formats (13x18 and 9x12 cm). I don't think they are very abundant, but I see them now and then. I have never seen a 13x18 in the flesh, so I did not know he did them. Until now, that is.

The engineer did constant developments and changes to the cameras, but from the examples I have seen they are sturdy and well-built, if not over-built.

I thought the 5x7 holders would be like a 4x5 holder. These holders have the same outer dimensions as the european 9x12 cm holders. The hungarian also made Szabad filmholders. I have eight of these (9x12) and they seem to be made to the standards.

Can't you just mark up the holders so that you know how far in the holders has to go to sit correctly? Otherwise you might have to modify the camera, but I am positive there is some way to remedy the problem.
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

multiplex

szabad 5x7 camera

jimi! thanks so much for the information about my camera!

i figured out what the deal was with the film holders ... i came to the realization that the camera's former owner put the ground glass on upside-down, so things were a little messed-up .. since i reversed the ground glass, the film holders seat PERFECTLY!

- john

multiplex

Re: szabad 5x7 camera

hi fredrik

its good to know there are others that have and use szabad cameras !
    since i originally posted i bought one of the few 8x10s that were made.
    according to some there were only 3 or 4.

i was lucky enough to have the original swedish "history" of mr szabad and his cameras.

if anyone is interested i have attached a pdf of an english translation of the swedish text.

john
    Last edited by jnantz; 11-Aug-2007 at 10:09.

John et al,
    I have a small book from the early 60's, titled Press/View Camera Technique by Paul Wahl. It has a very small write up on the camera w/ the then current prices and a picture of one. At that time they were roughly equal in price to a Deardorf and contemporary with the Linhof Kardon Color and Technika IV, Sinar Norma and Kodak Master. If you are interested I could scan the material and e-mail it. They do look like real nice cameras, I bid on one on ebay several months back, but got sniped.
    Jack

Between here and there

Old favourite threads re-surface again. Incidentally, I did one translation for John into english, patched up from several smaller texts and tidbits I found here in Sweden, some of it from the link given by Fredrik. I've since last time I posted, seen a few Szabads, all of them 9x12 size. They come up now and then at the auctions held by LP Foto. The Szabad holders are of course, more common.

Between here and there

I have never seen any of the 18x24 Szabad holders. Even the usual 18x24 ones seems hard to find. BTW, I got 4 old, used wooden 8x10 holders and a Turner Reich Anastigmat Convertible (12"/21"/28" focal length) in an Ilex shutter, complete with machined brass retaining ring, hanging around in a cupboard here... Just thought I'd mention it. PM me if you're interested.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

The "usual" 18x24 holders are easy to find - on ebay.de. Since they are becoming ever less popular, they are a lot cheaper than 8x10" ones too.

In my case they only add to the confusion, I have 9x12, 4x5", 13x18, 5x7", 18x24, 8x10", 24x30 and 30x40. I hope I never find a reason for a 10x12" camera.

Between here and there

Good to know to where to find the holders but I think that you have too many cameras, Ole. Not good for your health, this. Might as well send a few over to me for safekeeping, eh?

(btw, you haven't by any chance owned a Mamiya RZ with a 110 lens somewhere in the mists of time?)

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Jimi, I may have too many cameras (anyone need a pretty, but lousy 13x18cm folding "Reisekamera"?), but no, I've never ownad a Mamiya RZ. My only Mamiya is a C3.