Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Norma and Sinar Mechanical shutter

Sinar Norma and Sinar Mechanical shutter

Frankly, I am missing the circular apertures of barrel lenses that I have got mounted into new shutters. Besides, the costs were considerable. Is the Sinar Mechanical shutter compatible with the Sinar Norma 4 x 5? I like to start experimenting with the smaller format before moving onto 8 x 10.

Thanks for all advice.

Greg

Re: Sinar Norma and Sinar Mechanical shutter

Sure that is the ideal, they fit up and down the model range, old and new. There was a green Norma era one, and several later black/chrome then all black variations later on.

The DB lensmounts and all those variations are a huge pain in the butt. Instead get an extra standard and regular or bag 4x5 bellows. The shutter rides on the middle standard and you can mount your lenses on inexpensive flat lensboards.

Try to get the special shutter release cable with any shutter you buy, otherwise it uses a special long throw release that only Sinar sells for around $150 (or try eBay). There is another cable that can tie into the back of a Sinar to automagically close the shutter when a film holder is inserted. Pretty slick but also a bit finicky. Some people just use a long but tiny screwdriver to fire the shutter. The shutter can have a bit more of a kick than your normal Copal shutters, so practice to make it smoother and use a really solid tripod and lock everything nice and snug.

Thanks Frank and also for your earlier threads on this topic.

I was curious about how you mount lenses with rear elements that protrude too far. is that what most do, get another front standard and bellows to mount the shutter further back? am I understanding that correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Sure that is the ideal, they fit up and down the model range, old and new. There was a green Norma era one, and several later black/chrome then all black variations later on.

The DB lensmounts and all those variations are a huge pain in the butt. Instead get an extra standard and regular or bag 4x5 bellows. The shutter rides on the middle standard and you can mount your lenses on inexpensive flat lensboards.

Try to get the special shutter release cable with any shutter you buy, otherwise it uses a special long throw release that only Sinar sells for around $150 (or try eBay). There is another cable that can tie into the back of a Sinar to automagically close the shutter when a film holder is inserted. Pretty slick but also a bit finicky. Some people just use a long but tiny screwdriver to fire the shutter. The shutter can have a bit more of a kick than your normal Copal shutters, so practice to make it smoother and use a really solid tripod and lock everything nice and snug.

Yes
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Lngroller View Post
    I was curious about how you mount lenses with rear elements that protrude too far.
    The lens with a protruding rear cell needs to be "forward mounted" so that it does not touch the shutter blades. Sinar Norma would do this at the factory for you. They could also mount "mickey mouse ears" on the board so you had a spring loaded auto aperture. The most deluxe way to go was a forward mounted lens, with a built-in shutter. This gave you the most choices in how to use the lens. If you are good with your hands, you can make something up. Or have a photo machinist make the forward mounting cone for you. In the instructions Sinar Norma indicates that the rear lens ideally should be within 1mm of the blades.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Lngroller View Post
    I was curious about how you mount lenses with rear elements that protrude too far. is that what most do, get another front standard and bellows to mount the shutter further back? am I understanding that correctly?
    "Top Hat" Sinar lens boards do exist. This one I used to mount 2 different Petzval lenses in front of a Sinar shutter. The extension part is fastened to the lens board with 4 screws. I have owned 2 of them and neither was OEM. I. believe that they were offered by Horseman but have never been able to confirm that. The recessed Sinar lens boards that I have owned on the other hand are stamped? from one piece of metal and unfortunately the extension is not reversible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SinarTopHat.jpg  

Twin Lens 4x5 Sinar Norma 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

On the top section of my twin lens Sinar Norma, is an original Sinar Norma forward mounted board from the Sinar factory. This one is a chrome Schneider 240mm f5.6 Sinar Symmar. This one does not have the built in compur shutter, it is a barrel mount with "mickey mouse" aperture controls. The lens can be set from behind the camera, no moving forward and back to set it up. The deluxe version had a spring loaded aperture mechanism that stopped the lens down and cocked the shutter when you inserted the film holder.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thank you all for the info. Moving from calumet c400 series 4x5 to Sinar P 8x10 and just now learning the sinar system.

There are three basic versions of the Sinar shutter.

1)~Made in Switzerland with the 1/32 second on the far right hand side of the shutter speed dial. This is the original Sinar Norma shutter. Does NOT work with Sinar DB mounted lenses as it does not have the aperture scale or mechanism to drive the DB mount lens aperture.

2)~Made in Japan Copal with the flash sync (X flash sync only) connector on a short cable. Much of the metal trim is silver colored anodized aluminum. Works with Sinar DB mounted lenses, has the lens aperture scale on the edge. Note, the aperture scale is interchangeable full aperture of f4 or f5.6, The shutter opening diameter is the SAME_just the aperture scale is different.

3)~Made in Japan Copal with the flash sync on a connector side of the shutter. The short cable from the previous version is gone. Works with DB mounted lenses. Body is mostly black with silver high lighted lettering.

Shutter release cables came in essentially two versions. The Original Norma shutter cable is chrome plated wound wire with the smaller shutter release button. These expand lots to trip the shutter. Not the best, but works. The later version is all black with a larger plastic shutter release button and locking collar. This is the preferred version with insignificant expansion when the shutter is tripped.

Hold the shutter release button down for the entire duration of the shutter cycle time to prevent the shutter kick back when the shutter closes. The shutter kick back does not appear to make any difference in vibration or camera movement that might cause image blur during the shutter cycle.

4)~Sinar Digital electronic shutter. Shutter speeds from 64 seconds to 1/500 sec. Fully integrates with the Sinar Expolux system for metering back and exposure control. Reads out DB lens aperture settings, EV, number of electronic flash cycles and much more. Serious time saver for studio photographers back in the day when each sheet of film exposed makes a difference and each sheet of film should be best as possible

Bernice