Page 1387 of 1718 FirstFirst ... 38788712871337137713851386138713881389139714371487 ... LastLast
Results 13,861 to 13,870 of 17171

Thread: safe haven for tiny formats

Re: safe haven for tiny formats

One taken with a Leica Summicron 50/2.0, and the other a Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.5. Both 1950s vintage. One Tri-X and the other Neopan, 400 speed. Can you guess which is which?

Last edited by goamules; 15-Apr-2019 at 12:27.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    One taken with a Leica Summicron, and the other a Voigtlander Nokton. One Tri-X and the other Neopan, 400 speed. Can you guess which is which?
    These pictures are so small they are an eye test when comes to that. Does my Voigtländer Nokton 50/1.5 have the same bokeh as the other versions of that lens? I'd say #1 is the Voigtländer.

I size 35mm on screen to be symbolic of what size they used to be printed: 4x6. Everyone was happy looking at that sized prints, in ancient times.

#1 = Summicron
    #2 = Nokton

I size 35mm on screen to be symbolic of what size they used to be printed: 4x6. Everyone was happy looking at that sized prints, in ancient times.

#1 = Summicron
    #2 = Nokton
    Wow. I've shot Summicrons for a very long time and never seen anything like that. Which version is yours? Some people seem to prefer the Dual Range and similar Rigid version over the late 6 element, but I've never found an advantage in my use. I guess it depends a lot on what you point it at. I'd be curious to see a direct comparison of those lenses if you ever do one, though I've mostly moved to an old Sonnar 1.5 these days anyway.

It's the DR version. I'll do a comparison on identical shots.

My second year going to the Renaissance Fair - the jousting is my favorite thing. So I brought some more "serious" gear this time.

Nikon F5, Sigma 300mm f/2.8, XX, HC-110 dil. H:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

#1 = Summicron
    #2 = Nokton
    Okay. But you gotta admit, all but the most extreme lenses and films look the same when they are a postage stamp in size. 640x400 image is a different size on different resolution monitors. 4x6 inches is the same size for everybody holding a print in their hand.

Nice Bryan. That brings it in.

My Nokton 50/1.5 on an M9 at f2.8. This was indeed the end of the road for this old dog. I might have missed focus on the face of the dog. But now the camera has a serious back focus issue with this lens. And to a lesser degree with my 35mm and not as noticeable when using a 25mm. I think the camera might of got banged around too much on some of my hiking trips with it.

Old Buster by tuco, on Flickr

Thanks tuco. I like the photo of your dog. I don't have many good photos of my first and only dog unfortunately, but maybe I'll dig one up.

My Leica M9 also had focus issues after a bit of use. After getting the sensor replaced last year and not really using it much I finally just got rid of it when I was offered a sweet trade+cash deal for it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

It's the DR version. I'll do a comparison on identical shots.
    Thanks. I got a DR on my first M a very long time ago. That M3 is long gone, but I still have the DR. I never had a complaint about it, and took a picture with it on a newspaper job that my friends and I jokingly called "the sharpest picture ever taken on 35mm". I thought maybe it was one of my pitifully few Flickr uploads, but don't see it. Maybe I'll upload it just for fun.

I got a 80's 6 element on a camera I was buying and liked it just enough better that I stuck with it. I know that lens gets some blowback; even Mike Johnston gives it grief. I feel guilty enough to compare them every few years, but always decide they are both great. Have you ever used the later lens? A friend has the first 6 element version, and I suspect we would be the absolute happiest if we switched, since I'm more of a boke nut and he is more resolution obsessed. I just don't really think there are any bad Summicrons.